Chapter 13

???:

I entered the kitchen after being requested by Jin. He was standing at the counter cutting fresh fruits and arranging them on a tray.

"Hello my friend," Jin said, giving me a bright smile and a wave with the large knife in his hand.

"What's going on Jin?" I asked, curious as to why he requested me to come. Emira had approached me and let me know that the princess had requested my presence at lunch. I was excited but curious as to the reason. Normally, the princess and Emira dined alone at lunch.

"Emira was down here earlier. It seems that vile woman has struck again with her highness," Jin said. He quickly relayed the events that had taken place, his voice tight with anger.

I couldn't believe that woman had the gall to rub the encounter in the garden in the princess's face. It was atrocious behavior unbecoming of someone who is supposed to be a lady. My heart broke for my beautiful goddess. She did not deserve the treatment she was being given and it was disgusting.

I sat there in the kitchen lost in my thoughts while Jin finished preparing the midday meal. The fruits were artfully arranged on a platter and there were trays of tiny sandwiches with various fillings, along with Jin's homemade chips. The princess had requested them since they were another of her favorite foods and Jin was only too happy to provide her with such a simple request.

I helped Jin set the table, carrying in the heavy trays for him. I was setting the last tray on the table when the princess came in, followed by Emira. I approached her and held out my hand, bowing deeply to her. "Good afternoon princess. May I escort you to your seat?"

The princess blushed and took my hand. "Thank you," she said, her voice musical. I brought her to her chair and pulled it out for her.

"Enjoy your lunch princess," I said, my voice coming out unintentionally husky near her ear. I could see the goosebumps rise up on her skin and internally smiled at the reaction I was able to give her.

I took a seat at the table and we made small talk as we waited for the others to arrive. She thanked me for the book I had recommended and said how much she was enjoying it. As Mina, Soobin, and the Duke entered the room, I intentionally spoke up. "I'm glad you're enjoying the book princess. It is rare to find a woman intelligent enough to appreciate the written word. I'm sure Namjoon would agree since he is so well versed," I said.

I caught Mina's look of irritation out of the corner of my eye but my attention was focused on the lovely princess in front of me. She smiled at my words and blushed again, her cheeks turning an attractive shade of pink.

Once everyone had arrived, the palace stuff brought out plates and silverware. Alia, one of the servers was tasked with serving the princess. She made sure the princess had everything she needed and gave a bashful smile each time the princess thanked her.

"Prince Soobin, it's so kind of you to dine with your servants," Mina said in a snarky tone, gesturing towards my end of the table, focusing on Emira. "It's so strange to dine with those who are not of royal blood."

"It's an enjoyment of mine," the princess said, her voice sweet. "I find it terribly boring to dine only with royal blood. Which is why I'm so pleased you could join us as well."

I choked on the tea I was currently drinking at the princess's not so subtle dig at Mina, who was in fact not of royal blood. My friend next to me let out a snicker and I kicked him under the table. Mina sent us both a glare before turning her fake smile back to the princess.

"Was it awkward for your best friend to become a servant in the palace?" Mina asked. "You don't think she found it awfully demeaning?"

Emira spoke up this time. "YN and I have always been as close as sisters. When she came of age and needed a lady's maid, I was only too happy to take the position. I think it brings us even closer. I mean, I get all the palace gossip that usually only the royals hear," Emira said, a smile on her face. "And I will be the first one to know when the royal baby is on the way."

YN:

Bingo I thought when I heard Emira's words. That's what her plan was. And from the look on Mina's face, she clearly didn't know.

Mina's face drained of color and she turned to Prince Soobin, her eyes filled with rage. "What royal baby?" she asked.

Emira casually stirred sugar into her tea. "Oh you didn't know? As part of the unity between the kingdoms, there will be an heir within a year or two. Personally, I can't wait to be an aunt," Emira said then turned her attention to me. "YN even though it will be a royal baby, can I still be Auntie Em?"

I snorted out a laugh. "Oh my dear Emira. You make it sound like The Wizard of Oz," I said with a smile.

Taehyung laughed at my words. "I get to be Uncle TaeTae. There's no getting around that one," he said.

I noticed Soobin was sitting there quietly, his face pale. Clearly he hadn't told his mistress that I was expected to provide an heir and fairly soon.

Jungkook and Jimin were sitting at the end of the table near Emira and I noticed they were trying their best to keep their laughter in. They were enjoying the show and I wondered just how much they actually knew.

The Duke turned to Mina and patted her arm. "Won't that be exciting? Just think of how adorable the royal baby will be considering how lovely the princess is," he said, his voice soothing, while he unknowingly rubbed salt in the wound.

I almost felt bad for the poor girl, but then I remembered her words to me in the garden and in the corridor. Any sympathy I was feeling instantly faded away. I turned to Alia. "May I have some more tea please?" I asked. Alia nodded and rushed to my side refilling my cup. As she went to walk away, I stopped her with a hand to her wrist. "You are doing a marvelous job. Thank you."

Mina didn't say much the rest of the meal, but sat there quietly fuming. After everyone had exited leaving Emira and me alone, I eyed my closest friend. "I know what you did there, you sneaky little devil," I said.

Emira raised her hands in innocence. "Whatever do you mean?" she asked.

"You knew he didn't tell her about me having to provide an heir, didn't you?" I asked.

Emira shook her head. "No. I really didn't but I guessed she didn't know. I'm sorry if I overstepped but she was pissing me off," she blurted out.

I got up from my chair and sat in the one next to her. "You're my sister, my best friend, and my partner in crime. I know why you did what you did and I love you for it. You're the only one in this whole palace who truly has my best interests at heart," I said, rubbing her back.

"I don't think that's actually true. You have instilled so much loyalty and respect amongst the staff in the palace. They all adore you. From Taehyung to Jin to Jungkook to Jimin to Namjoon. Even Kai loves you and that man hates everyone," Emira said.

I hoped Emira didn't notice the blush that crossed my cheeks when she said his name. The name of the man I saw in my dreams. The name of the man I longed to hold. I shook my head to clear the images of him and thought about what she had said. I had to admit that most people I had come across in the palace had been exceptionally kind to me.

I stood up then pulled her up. "Let's go my trouble making friend," I said with a smile.

"You have to admit it was entertaining to watch her floundering around like a fish out of water," Emira said, a smug smile on her face.

I pushed her shoulder then linked my arm with hers. "That it was my friend. It certainly was."

A/N: Have you guessed who the mystery man is yet?  There's a couple of hints in the last few chapters...