Chapter 38

Taehyung:

Although Soobin had basically admitted the contents of the video, the cabinet insisted on seeing the remainder of it, needing proof of his infidelity before making a decision on what to do about him.  Even though my father still had control as king, the cabinet could overrule him on certain decisions.  Unfortunately this just happened to be one of them.  It was a way to show the people that their best interests were being looked after, even if it was a detriment to the monarchy.  It had worked surprisingly well ever since my father took the throne and I was sure it was something that would continue.

Even though I didn't want to, as part of the royal family, I was required to sit there with my father, Soobin, and the rest of the cabinet as the video was viewed.  Luckily my mother did not have to witness it; it was definitely something she didn't need to see.  Once we were all seated, the head of the cabinet, Minseok, began the video.  The video played through the kiss we had seen during the opening ceremony, but soon enough the video evolved into something more and soon, Soobin could be seen lifting up the woman's dress and entering her.  The motions seen in the video were clear and there was no denying what exactly was happening.

My father looked over at Soobin in disgust.  "Please.  Please turn it off."  Minseok obeyed immediately and shut down the video, the room going silent.  "What the hell is wrong with you?  You have a beautiful wife.  A wife the entire kingdom adores and you... you go for a whore?"

Shocked by my father's words, the members of the cabinet looked around in surprise.  My father was usually so mild mannered so seeing him like this was definitely a change.  "Father, I wasn't... wasn't in love with Y/N, but now things are different."  I looked over at my brother as he spoke, hardly able to believe that he was trying to justify his behavior, justify the way he treated Y/N and the embarrassment he had caused her.  "I promise you.  With her by my side, I can be a good king."

My father went to speak, but Minseok spoke up.  "With all due respect, your highness, I personally don't believe you are capable of running our kingdom.  Your father is correct.  Everyone adores your wife in the kingdom and for you to commit such an act, especially in a public place?  You have lost the respect of the villagers and I truly don't believe there is any way to come back from that.  I apologize, but that is my opinion on the matter."

Soobin's eyes widened in disbelief.  "You've got to be kidding me.  You're going to deny me the crown, the crown that rightfully belongs to me, because I cheated on my wife?  Because I had an affair?  Kings have been doing this since the beginning of time."

"Yeah but you're the only one dumb enough to get caught."  My father's voice broke in and I could see he was rapidly losing his patience with my brother.  "You're clearly not understanding the problem here.  The people in the kingdom?  They don't trust you to not lead them down a dark path.  You cheated on your wife.  In a public place.  That shows them that you don't respect her or them."

Minseok nodded in agreement.  "I apologize your highness, but this is correct.  Since the villagers know about your affair, they will no longer trust you or your judgment."  Running a hand through his hair, Minseok sighed.  "If you were to take the crown, there would most likely be an uproar."

A knock on the door had us all turning in surprise since the cabinet and my father made it clear that we were not to be disturbed.  I stood and opened the door, surprised to see Jimin standing there.  "I apologize for the interruption your highness, but there is a problem."

From behind Jimin, I could see the balcony that overlooked the front of the palace.  The people that had been permitted to attend the opening ceremony were still there in full force and gathered on the front lawn, clearly despite attempts from the royal guard to remove them.  My father stood and rushed out of the room, following quickly by Soobin and myself.  He went to the balcony and opened the door, stepping onto the granite floor.