Chapter 39

Emira:

After Jimin left the palace to join Y/N and Jungkook, I hurried into my room, needing to make arrangements to leave.  Once the annulment took place, I would be returning to my home in my own village.  Although I had a home at the palace of Y/N's family, I wanted to return to the home my parents had left me.  It was the home they bought right after they married, the home they brought me to after my birth, the home that was filled with so much love.  I hoped Jin would be willing to join me in the house, fill it with our love, our family. 

The king's speech on the balcony was completely unexpected and something that none of us were expecting.  Although I knew Soobin being unable to take the throne was a very real option, I didn't expect it to happen so quickly.  Now Taehyung was going to be king and I couldn't be happier for him.  It was something he deserved, something he earned, something he would be wonderfully amazing at.  He cared for the people and it showed, especially what he had been willing to do for Y/N.  At the risk of his relationship with his own brother, he put everything on the line to make sure Y/N and Jungkook would have their happy ending.  It showed me that he had what it too to be a great king. 

A knock on the door pulled me from my thoughts and I pulled it open to see Taehyung standing on the other side.  "Can I come in Emira?"  Taehyung's voice was soft and I smiled at him then nodded, backing up and opening the door fully.  I shut the door then turned to face him, his eyes studying me.  "What are you doing?"

I hesitated then shrugged.  "I know with Y/N's marriage being annulled soon, my purpose here is ending so I am getting ready to leave.  I am going to return to my home in my own village."

Taehyung's eyes turned wistful and I could see the dejection in his slumped shoulders, the sadness in his hunched over frame.  "Do... do you have to leave?  I feel like everyone is going to leave me here."  Taehyung's voice came out in a whine and I couldn't help but laugh at the cute behavior of the prince.  No one would believe he was the future king if they could see him right now.

I sighed, my laughter coming to an end.  "I want to go home.  I... I miss my home, my village.  I miss seeing the people I knew, the ones I grew up with."  I patted Taehyung on the shoulder.  "And you?  You're going to make an amazing king and be so busy doing king things that you're not going to have time to miss any of us."

Taehyung let out a deep breath then raked a hand through his hair.  "I... I know.  It's just sometimes I wish that I was the older brother.  I would have... have taken care of Y/N and we... we could have fallen in love."  I could see the sadness in Taehyung's eyes and knew there was something else there, something he wasn't telling me, but I chose to leave it alone.  It was not my place to ask, but I could see something in his eyes, something I saw in Jin's, something I saw in Jungkook's.

"I know you could have, but unfortunately, we don't get to choose when we are born or the station we are born into.  I was born to a common family, but lucky enough to have been taken in by the royal family.  My life would have been very different if it weren't for them.  That much I know.  You were born second in line and I know it's hard trying to be who they want you to be, what they want you to be.  However, who you already are is a wonderful person.  You are the kind of person that puts others in front of yourself, no matter how hard the situation is, no matter how trying it can be.  No matter how much it hurts you."

Taehyung turned away from me, trying to hide his face so I let him be for a moment, let him have his peace.  "I'm... I'm going to be expected to find a wife.  They want... they want me to be married before I take the throne.  The cabinet suggested Y/N, but I... I said no.  I said I didn't want to force her into another marriage so soon after she was going to escape from a shitty one."  Taehyung laughed dryly, running a hand over his face.  "Did I do the right thing?"