Chapter 35

Jungkook POV:

As Soobin gazed down at the princess, I couldn't help but notice the look of love and adoration in his eyes as he gazed down at her. I felt a clenching pain in my stomach at the look, wondering if I had lost YN before I actually got her, but the look in her eyes told me something different. While his look was soft and gentle, her eyes were filled with a coldness that almost made me flinch from the look of it all. YN turned to me and the coldness faded, replaced by warmth that touched my heart.

The guards opened the door into the hall and gestured for the King and Queen to enter, followed by Soobin and YN. Soobin patted YN's hand that was resting on her arm and I noticed her features tighten, as though she resented the touch. Soobin must have noticed the same because he quickly pulled his hand back as though her were waiting for her to slap him. I had to stop myself from rolling my eyes at his fake behavior. If he really wanted to treat her like a wife, it was something he should have done when they first became engaged. Now it was too late.

The King and Queen approached their thrones, waving to the people. It was clear by the cheers and the few tears that I witnessed that the people were going to miss their current King. Soobin and Taehyung's father had done a remarkable job leading the country. He was a fair king who listened to his people and took their concerns into consideration. He had been similar to his father who ruled before him. It was a welcome change from the horror stories shared from other kingdoms. Tales of Kings who ruled with an iron fist. Kings who would torture their people for the slightest infraction. It made me think of Jackson and his interaction with the princess. Another King could have had Jackson executed for the action, but the situation either was not made known to the King or simply ignored.

I looked down at my watch then caught Taehyung's eye from across the room. He gave me a subtle nod and I knew everything was in place. I tilted my head as though to ask him if her were completely sure and he gave me a wink. Although I felt a sense of guilt about the way he was betraying his brother, Taehyung had assured me he was fully comfortable with what he was doing. He had seen first hand the pain his brother had caused YN, had seen the way Mina was flaunted in front of YN and it was too much for anyone to bear. The princess was far too kind, to gentle, too caring to be treated in such a brusque manner. If Soobin wanted her love, he should have tried when he had the chance.

As I waited for the opening ceremony to begin, I studied YN. She was wearing a blue velvet gown studded with silver stars and I couldn't stop the small smile that graced my lips knowing she had gone with my choice. The front of the gown was split up the middle with a shimmery silver fabric peeking out. It was beautiful and stunning, but I had to admit that I preferred YN in her simple sweater and jeans that she had worn on the trip to the village. The simplicity of those clothes accentuated her beauty while the intricate gowns sometimes overpowered it. The hairstylist had done something interesting with her hair, a fancy updo of sorts with sparkling blue gemstones that would flash whenever they caught the light. Her makeup was impeccable making her look every inch the princess that she was.

For a moment, I wondered if I was doing the right thing, but then remembered the red handprint on her cheek and the disheveled state Mina would return in after her trip to the gardens with Soobin. I caught Emira's eyes and, from the way she rolled them, knew she had figured out what I was thinking. She gave me a subtle headshake then winked at me and I felt the reservations of everything that was going to happen leave me.

The opening ceremony began and I was immediately on my toes. The King gave his normal speech about how important it is for the people to be a part of this momentous occasion, how he truly believes his son with do a good job and how much he is sure the people will love their new queen. As he said this last part, I had to smile when the crowd erupted into cheers at the mention of their beautiful princess.