Chapter 21

Emira:

After leaving YN in the library in the care of Namjoon, I headed to her quarters to check whether the fabric selections for her coronation dress had been delivered. I was shocked when YN had told me that Soobin was allowing her to design her dress and choose the fabric. He hadn't even let her choose anything for her dress. Soobin's behavior over the last few was definitely confusing. The sweet way he was looking at YN was odd and unsettling. Had he realized that how he was treating her was wrong?

As I passed Soobin's quarters, Mina came barreling out, almost plowing into me. By the looks of her disheveled hair, swollen lips and the dark purple mark on her neck, it was obvious what had been happening in the prince's room. I gave her a disgusted look and Mina gave me a smug smile in return, straightening her too short dress.

My previous thoughts of Soobin's change of personality were cleared in an instant. If he was still having sex with his mistress then clearly he was not showing any remorse for the way he was treating YN.

Mina gave me another smug smile, rubbed the spot on her collarbone then sauntered down the hallway, her long blond hair swinging behind her. I rolled my eyes at her behavior and let myself into YN's quarters.

There was a box on YN's bed, left there by one of the maids. I lifted the lid and was amazed by the selection of beautiful fabrics, all royal blue but ranging from brocade to silk to satin, including a royal blue velvet embossed with silver stars. I knew right away it was something that YN would love. I put the lid back on the box, lifting it up and carrying it out of the room and down to the library.

Soobin was coming out of his quarters, face pale and clothes in disarray. The memory of Mina coming out of his room a few minutes prior sent a wave of resentment crashing over me. As I went to pass Soobin, he stopped me.

"Where is she?" Soobin asked, his voice sounding unlike his own.

"Mina headed down the corridor in that direction, your highness," I replied stiffly, not certain why he was asking me the whereabouts of his mistress. "However, I do not know where she was headed."

Soobin ran a hand through his already tousled hair. "Not Mina. YN. Where is my wife?" he asked, his voice unsteady.

"YN is in the library with Namjoon, your highness," I informed him. "They are meeting for their daily book discussion." Why was he all of a sudden concerned about YN? He never once asked her about her interests, where she would be going, or what she would be doing. Why did he want to know now?

"Has she had her tea yet?" Soobin asked.

I nodded. "Yes your highness. I served it to her myself just a few minutes ago. I was just taking these fabric samples to her," I said, gesturing towards the box in my arms.

"Would... would you mind if I took them to her?" Soobin stammered, his cheeks flushing pink.

I stared at him for a moment, unsure of what was happening. Why was he blushing? Why was he stuttering? What happened to the rude, cocky, arrogant prince? I hesitated then handed him the box. "As you wish your highness," I replied respectfully.

Soobin took the box with a small smile then headed down the corridor, muttering to himself and leaving me confused. Instead of following him to the library, I detoured to the kitchen, wanting to see Jin and to clear my mind of what had just happened.

Jin was standing at the stove, beginning preparations for the noon meal when I walked into the kitchen. I crept up behind him, wrapping my arms around his thin waist and pressing my cheek to his broad back. He started for a moment, but then covered my hands with his own, before turning to face me. He pressed his lips to mine in a gentle kiss, his hand coming up to softly caress my cheek.