Chapter 3

Soobin:

After the traditional dance, I escorted YN from the dance floor. The Duke stopped me as we were making our way off the floor.

"Your highness," he said, bowing deeply. "I would like to extend my thanks to you for your invitation for myself and my daughter to stay in the palace."

I smiled back at him politely. "It is my pleasure. I had hoped it would give my bride and your daughter the chance to get to know each other a bit. Is she here? We would love to meet her," I said.

The Duke nodded, then turned his head and gestured toward someone seated at a table. "Mina darling," he called. "The prince and his bride would like to meet you."

I watched YN's eyes widen in horror at the sight of the beautiful blond walking towards us. She quickly masked the expression and forced a tight smile onto her lips. I held out my hand as she approached. She curtsied to me, her full breasts almost spilling out the top of her dress. "Mina, it is an honor to meet the daughter of my father's most trusted advisor. I hope you enjoy your stay in the palace," I said.

Mina's eyes turned to YN and she smirked at her. "Your highness," she said, making the phrase sound like an insult. "I have heard so many wonderful things about you. I'm sure that we're going to be great friends."

I had to admire YN's composure. She smiled politely at Mina. "It is a pleasure to meet you," she said softly, her voice sweet and musical.

I turned to the Duke. "Thank you for agreeing to stay. We have several new soldiers in the royal guard and I would like your assistance in helping to revamp our training program," I said. I waved my hand toward Jungkook, who made his way towards me.

"Your highness," Jungkook said, bowing as he approached.

"Jungkook is the head of the royal guard. He has been overseeing the training program for the last three years," I said to the Duke, gesturing towards Jungkook.

The Duke nodded and smiled. "It's a pleasure, Jungkook." He turned back to me. "We can discuss this more in the next couple days. I do not want to take away from the celebration of your beautiful bride."

I nodded. "I will arrange a meeting with you in two days time," I replied. "We will talk more then."

The Duke and Mina said their farewells and exited the grand hall. I turned to Jungkook. "Will you please escort the princess to her quarters?" I asked.

Jungkook bowed. "Of course, your highness," he said. He extended an arm to YN. "If you please, princess?"

YN took Jungkook's arm and allowed herself to be led from the grand hall.

YN:

I followed Jungkook quietly from the grand hall, my mind filled with all that had happened. The beautiful blond would be staying in the palace. I shuddered at the thought of her with Soobin again, but knew that it was inevitable. Soobin had admitted that this marriage was in name only and he loved the other woman. I had hoped that things might change once the other woman left, but it was clear that she would be staying.

I felt anger bubble up in my chest when I realized that this was Soobin's doing. He had purposely asked her to stay to flaunt their relationship in my face. Although I didn't love him, the hurt remained.

"Are you alright princess?" Jungkook asked.

I nodded my head. I had temporarily forgot the black haired man escorting me back to my quarters. Soobin and I had agreed that I would remain in my private quarters for the time being. Actually, he had made the decision and I went along with it, not wanting to anger him.

"Thank you Jungkook. I am fine," I replied as we arrived at the doors to my quarters. "Could you please send Emira to me if you see her?"

"Of course," Jungkook replied with a bow. "Good night princess. Sleep well."

I entered my private quarters and sat down at my vanity to begin the process of removing my makeup and taking my hair down. Sometimes Emira insisted on taking care of the tasks, but this evening I just wanted to remove the reminders of this horrible event.

I had just removed the last gem from my hair, when there was a light tap on the door. "Come in," I called.

Emira opened the door and stepped through. "Your highness, I would have helped," she exclaimed, her exasperation evident in her voice.

I smiled at her words. "I know you would have, but it is already done. Can you help me with my dress please?" I asked kindly.

Emira smiled happily. "Of course your highness," she replied.

"Please Emira.. Just YN," I said with a smile.

Emira giggled. I was happy to have her here with me. She had been my friend when I was a little girl. When I turned 16 and had to choose a lady in waiting, I had asked if she would be interested. She had happily agreed and had been with me for the last six years.

Emira knew me better than anyone, my parents included. I had confided in her about my hesitation for the marriage and my ultimate wish for it. She was the one who had encouraged me to dream happy thoughts and be optimistic. I was debating on how to share the new developments with her. She was as close to me as a sister and I knew the information would hurt her almost as much as it hurt me.

After removing the beautiful but heavy gown, I changed into soft shorts and an old hoodie from a friend from college. Yoongi had played basketball and was one of my best friends outside of Emira. After college, we kept in contact and he kept me updated on his romantic relationships. He was currently dating a handsome dancer named Hoseok. The last time I had talked to Yoongi, he seemed pretty serious about the relationship. Listening to him talk about how happy he was made me envy those with normal lives. He could date whomever he wanted. He could go get a drink in a bar. He could go shopping whenever he wanted.

All during my college years, I had guards follow me everywhere. I wasn't even allowed to hang out with Yoongi until they had checked his background. It was embarrassing, but Yoongi laughed it off. He said it was part of the downside to having a princess as his best friend. I envied him when he would tell me about his shopping exploits. I never was allowed to enter the stores. All my clothes were purchased through the palace stylist and approved by my mother. Sometimes I think she forgets I am only 22. I want to wear comfy clothes, which is why I had Yoongi's hoodie. It was the only casual piece of clothing I had.

I turned to Emira as she turned down my bed. I climbed into the bed and plopped down on the pillow. Emira noticed my look and climbed in next to me. I maneuvered my head into her lap and she stroked my hair as she had done countless times since we were children. As she gently ran her fingers through my hair, she hummed my favorite lullaby and I fell into a dreamless sleep.