Chapter 19

Taehyung:

I was sitting at the breakfast table five days before the coronation, my heart heavy. I had been given information that my disgusting brother was still seeing his mistress, Mina. It was the reason she was staying at the palace. My brother was basically dangling her in front of YN like a prize. I felt immense pain for his beautiful wife. She was kind, loving, and respected by the entire palace staff.

Word quickly spread about what had happened on the training field the day before. A young man training for the palace guard had hugged the princess unexpectedly when she passed the news on that he would be joining her private security detail. Instead of shoving the young man away, YN had returned the hug, showing the young man affection. I was impressed with her behavior. Some of these men were only 18 years, having left home to join the guard and still craved contact from a caring woman in place of the families they had left behind.

YN came into the room, her eyes sad and her smile looking forced. She looked around the room, her eyes landing on one man in particular. Her smile brightened for a moment, but then faded. He hurried to her side, holding an arm out.

"May I escort you to your seat princess?" he asked, a smile on his face.

YN hesitated then nodded. "Please," she replied. "I would like that."

After he pulled out a chair for her, YN took her seat thanking him with a smile. He moved away from her, but not before glancing back at her, all of his emotions and feelings clear in his face. How had I not seen it before? He was so in love with her. From the way she kept glancing at him when she thought he wasn't looking showed me that she returned his feelings. Their stolen looks told me that they hadn't confessed to each other. Since YN had married Soobin, I could understand why, but since my brother had a mistress, why couldn't his sad lonely wife have someone to love?

Soobin came into the room, shortly followed by Mina and the Duke. Soobin took his seat next to his wife, giving her a gentle smile that I had never seen before. YN returned the smile with a false one of her own, so different from the way she had greeted the man who escorted her to her seat. Mina placed a hand on Soobin arm as she bent to greet him and I didn't miss the way he subtly shook it off. Soobin turned away from Mina and focused on YN, asking her if she slept well. I was confused by his behavior. Had my brother fallen for his wife? Was he tired of his mistress? I could tell by the look on YN's face that it was too late for him.

I looked to the other end of the table, catching the gaze of the man who escorted her in. He ran a hand through his hair and shrugged his shoulders. At the moment, I knew he saw that I had figured it out. There had to be a way to help them and if I was careful about it, I think I might be able to. I would have to betray my brother, but after the way he treated his beautiful wife, I knew I had to do it. I gave the man a smile and a wink, watching the expressions change on his face from confusion to surprise. He knew what I was thinking and knew that I was in the position to help him. I would do what I could to make sure that someone got a happy ending out of this disastrous marriage.

I turned my attention back to YN. Soobin was attempting to converse with her, but the polite smile on her face screamed that she wanted nothing to do with him, nothing to do with her cheating husband, especially when his slutty mistress was sitting at the table with them.

Mina was sitting there with a pout on her face, seeing that Soobin's attention had strayed from her to his wife, whom it should have been on from the beginning. She was picking at her plate, scowling at the food on it. After the first breakfast where YN had put her in her place, Mina had refused to say anything else about Jin's cooking.

It was one of the reasons I adored YN. She had quickly defended Jin against that wretched woman's attack. Not many people would do that, but YN had without a hesitation. Many of the palace staff had commented on the kindness of the princess and how she was adored by so many, even the hardest of them.