Chapter 18

Y/N:

After Emira left, I sat in the library with Namjoon discussing the latest book he had me read, but my heart was not in the conversation. Unfortunately, Namjoon was astute enough to notice my distracted mine. "What is troubling your highness?" he asked, his eyes soft and filled with worry.

I hesitated before speaking knowing that the thoughts running through my mind were most inappropriate to think, let alone discuss with an unmarried handsome man. However, Namjoon had become a trusted and respected friend. Maybe he could help me through the crisis I was currently experiencing. "Can you keep a secret?" I asked.

Namjoon nodded, a smile on his face. "For you, your highness? Absolutely," he promised with a smile. "My closest friends confide in me, trusting me to be loyal and discreet."

I sighed before speaking. "I... I have become attracted to a man who is not my husband," I admitted. "He is handsome, caring, hardworking and completely unlike my husband." I twisted my fingers in my shirt, trying to calm myself from speaking further, but the thoughts overran my conscious brain and flowed from my mouth. "I just found out today that he is in love with another."

"I'm terribly sorry to hear that your highness. You have definitely found yourself in a most unfortunate situation. What of your husband? Do you love him as well?" he asked, his questions blunt and direct.

"No," I replied, shaking my head. "I had hoped when I married Soobin that love would develop, but my husband has a mistress. A mistress who is quite possibly the most wretched woman I have ever met." Even thinking of Mina made my stomach clench and the bile threaten to rise in my throat.

"Are you referring to Mina?" Namjoon questioned, his face filled with curiosity. I nodded my head in confirmation. "I had hoped it wouldn't be her. Jungkook ran into her coming in from the garden and she... she made a pass at him. Apparently she has done the same to Jimin."

I had to admit I wasn't surprised. I wondered if Soobin knew that his mistress would most likely not be faithful to him if given the chance to be with another. "I just don't know what to do Namjoon," I said, my voice distraught. "I'm going to be expected to provide an heir, but the thought of it makes my stomach feel most unpleasant." At this moment in time, I wished more than anything that I wasn't a princess. I wanted to be with the man I loved, not someone who was forced upon me. Thinking of the handsome man made my eyes sting with unshed tears. The thought of him loving another made it feel as though my heart was shattering in a million pieces. When he had said those words, the feelings I had for him came bubbling to the surface like a dormant volcano ready to explode. I was in love with him.

Namjoon was silent after my admittance, a look of compassion on his face. "I'm so sorry your highness. I do wish there was something I could say that would make your situation seem less dark, but we both know there is nothing," he said, his words blunt as usual, but his tone soft. "Have... have you thought about asking for an annulment?"

The thought had definitely crossed my mind. Since the marriage had not been consummated and Soobin had not yet been crowned, the possibility was still there. At this point, it seemed like the best thing to do. I could return home to my own kingdom and hopefully meet someone new and fall in love. I couldn't imagine remaining here, knowing the man I loved was in love with another. I wouldn't be able to bear seeing them together. The act would further destroy me. More so than anything Soobin or Mina had done to me.

Emira came into the room with a small silver platter, loaded down with some of Jin's pastries. The man definitely was a marvel in the kitchen and I enjoyed everything he created. Emira was a fortunate woman, but Jin was just as lucky. My best friend was an amazing woman. I would enjoy watching their real life love story continue.