Chapter 29: The Truth

Dallas's POV
--

The next day, I walk back to Nicole's house, a bounce in my step. It's a good day. I know what ya'll are thinking. No. I didn't tell Mum. Yes, she asked. Yes, I lied.

I raise my hand to block out the sun, casting a shadow over my face in the process. The smell of the forest trickles into my nose, calling me and urging me to shift and run through the woods at full speed. Warmth pounds into me from the heat, but I can't be bothered. I'm going to Nicole's house.

As soon as her two-story house comes into view, I speed to a jog. I need to see her again. Sweat beads on my forehead from the humidity and from the heat of running. But good moods only last so long.

As soon as I reach her door, it opens to reveal her in a blue tank top that makes her eyes brighter and shorts that reach mid-thigh. Muscles in her legs stand out, showing her time spent running through the pines. She grins at me, reaching behind her head to tug her ponytail tighter.

"You're so lucky my dad isn't here. Again." But my mood is infectious and I can see amusement creeping into the corners of her blue eyes. Her honey smell runs through my mind like a breeze bringing wistful thoughts. For a few minutes, we just stand staring at each other with a huge grin plastered on our faces.

After a week, we both needed this.

She suddenly grabs my hand, tugging me inside before closing the door with a soft thud. I stick my arms out to regain my balance, laughing softly at my clumsiness. And then she's hugging me. Her arms lace together behind my back and her face buries in my chest. Confusion settles deep within my stomach. She acted like she could care less I was here yesterday. Why is she suddenly acting like she does? And then it dawns on me.

She knew her father was coming home soon yesterday so she didn't have time. She's feeling the separation just as much as I am; maybe worse.

Gripping her shoulders, I bend my head down so it rests on top of hers. Her hair is soft against my skin, soothing me as the hairs tickle my face. She doesn't move, but I hear her whimpering. What's going on?

And then I realize she's crying.

Pulling her back gently, I furrow my eyebrows and look at her tear-streaked face. It hurts to see her like this. With a quick swipe of her hand, her eyes are cleared. "Nic? What's wrong?" I whisper quietly, feeling the need for quiet.

"You're going to die." She says, looking down at her white converse. Her fingers fiddle nervously with a piece of hair that fell out of her ponytail.

"No, I'm not." I reply, tilting my head. "Your father will never know I'm here."

"He'll find out somehow. I don't know how, but I have that feeling. I can't shake it." I shake my head, lifting her chin to look at me.

"I'd rather die than not be able to see you." Keeping my expression blank, I wait for a reaction. When it comes, I almost miss it. A slight twitch in her eyebrows.

"He can arrange that." She says bitterly, closing the distance between us to hug me again. "I don't want you to die." She mumbles into my chest.

A laugh bubbles in me, rising and escaping out of me. This causes Nicole to tilt her head up to look at me.

"I won't. Don't worry. I won't." I promise, pressing my lips against her forehead. She closes her eyes, turning her face back down so her cheek presses against my chest. I feel my heart beat rapidly, threatening to run away at the pace its racing at.

"You're my best friend. You know that?" She asks. She has no idea. No idea what she is to me. She is everything; the reason I wake up, the reason I eat, the reason I shift, the reason I breathe, the reason I am me. She is my Mate, but even if she wasn't, I would be jealous to whoever gets to keep her. And it's me. I don't know how to tell her this. I don't know how to say all of this. So instead, I just nod.