Chapter 16: Strain

Nicole's POV
--

It's been another few months, so now it's July. Each night, I seem to dream of things that have happened, things that are happening, and things that are going to happen. And I know everything is true, it's not just my mind making it all up.

Dallas and Mrs. Amicus never stopped asking me if I was okay. But they ask less often now, as if they are disappointed that something didn't happen. I have no idea, honestly.

Dallas and I have grown closer, which was obviously going to happen due to the amount of time we spend together. He tells me everything and I tell him everything. Well... Almost.

I run every night in the forest in wolf form, feeling the freedom rush through my fur. It makes me so happy that it becomes addicting. If I don't run one night, the next day I'm cranky. (This always earns a worried look from Dallas and Carly.)

Amanda and I have conversations every day, her becoming one of my only sources I can go to for help or understanding.

I quickly gather the soft beach towel in my hand and grab some goggles from a shelf in my room. My sundress covers my striped bathing suit and matches my flips flops. I'm going to the Amicus' house to go swimming.

Once my bag is packed, I stand in front of my tall mirror, examining myself. I've grown thinner, if that's possible, from the amount of running I do, and my legs and arms have gained some toned muscle. I'm tanner than I used to be as well, although I don't know why or how that happened. I run at night and I have tons of fur covering my skin so there's no space for sun to get through. Ah, well.

My eyes have become paler and brighter, bringing out my high cheekbones and prominent nose. The few freckles on my nose stand out against my face and almost match my hair. They honestly make me look like I have glitter on my nose.

Well, I'm ready. I rarely go swimming, so obviously I'm not the best at it. Heck, I don't know how. But Dallas promised he would teach me.

As soon as his name comes to mind, his beautiful green eyes flash through my memory, creating a fuzzy feeling to spark in my stomach.

Oh yeah. That hasn't gone away. My attraction to Dallas has only gotten stronger and many times have I come so close to him that I can smell his minty breath as it puffs against my cheek. He always smells of mint leaves and earth, reminding me of my secret.

After another quick glance into the mirror and a tug at my dress, I gather my stuff and head down the stairs. I haven't seen Shock in a week and I'm getting worried.

The keys jungle mercilessly as I lock the front door behind me and set off down the sidewalk with my flip flops clapping against the pavement.

--

When I arrive, I don't even bother to go through the front door, knowing Carly and Dallas will both probably be in the backyard already. Sure enough, when I round the corner and walk through the pebble path to their backyard, splashes can be heard.

When I come into view of the entire backyard, I grin in amazement. Their backyard amazes me every time I step foot in it. It's huge.

The pool is huge, too, with a spa attached at the end. Dallas is kicking his way to the surface of the angry water that he just jumped into. Carly is shaking off her towel, water droplets flinging everywhere, but she has an amused expression.

Dallas's blond hair is plastered to his forehead, glittering with water droplets. My eyes automatically zero in on the single water droplet that runs down his cheek and to his neck before rejoining the water. I swallow hard when his green eyes open and flicker my direction. An immediate smile graces his face and he swims to the steps of the pool. This is going to be much harder than I thought.