Chapter 32: Given Up

Nicole's POV
--

Everything is numb.

It doesn't hurt. It's just numb. Is this because.... No. No. It's not. It can't be.

My father visits me earlier every day. I think he's afraid I'll change my mind on my anger. I won't.

The past two weeks have been very uneventful. Breathing, sleeping, eating. Repeat. The usual. Oh! And visions have ceased like they never existed.

I feel like I'm a crankier shell of what I was. I snap more and I'm very impatient. My stubbornness has been upped if that's even possible.

And then another week passes by. And something does happen.

The doorbell chimes, alerting me of someone's presence. Walking down the stairs, I make my way to the front door and not bothering to check the peephole, open it.

Carly and Damian Amicus stand in front of me.

I feel my eyes widen in surprise.

"Nicole." Damian dips his head respectfully in a way that reminds me of Dallas. Carly smiles warmly, her smile not reaching her sad, tired eyes. Oh, the resemblance makes me ache. Except they are missing their usual glow.

"Hi. What are you doing here?" I fidget nervously. It's dangerous for them to be here. Especially Damian. An alpha on another's territory is deadly.

"To see you, my dear, of course." Carly's smile seems forced, so unlike her. Something's bothering her. Her angel glow is gone.

Opening the door, the Amicuses walk in and glance around. "Lovely house." Carly comments.

I smile gratefully and motion towards the kitchen, following as their feet patter through the hall.

After settling in some chairs, I bring both of them a cup of coffee and some creamer and sit in front of them. The lack of Dallas hits me hard.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still mad at him. He used me and that's not okay. I'm not going to be used again.

We sit in silence - the Amicuses and I - each sipping our own coffee.

"This is really good. Thank you." Damian says, tilting his head towards the coffee. I nod.

"What's this really about?" I ask after a moment. I'm a straight-to-the-point person.

They exchange glances.

"Is it true?" Carly asks quietly, looking into her coffee. My head tilts.

"Is what true?"

"You rejected him?"

"What?" I frown, my eyebrows shooting up.

Again, the exchanged glances.

"You rejected Dallas as your Mate." My frown deepens. So that's why they're here? "We want to know why."

"He used me." I say quietly, fiddling with a piece of hair.

I don't think they know the whole story.

"Can you tell us what happened? He's.....unattainable right now." Carly frowns this time.

"Unattainable? Unattainable how?"

"Just tell us what happened, Nicole." Damian interrupts, his fierce silver eyes unnerving me. I can't believe I didn't realize what all of the power radiating off of him meant.

So I do tell them. There's no point in not and they deserve to know. They are his parents. And honestly? I haven't spoken to anyone for a bit.

As the story goes on, they seem to become less and less like themselves.