Chapter 13: The Icing on the Cake

Nicole's POV
--

After helping me set up my phone, Dallas and I sat on the couch, playing Minecraft on his Xbox.

"I have some bones. Nic, can you tame that wolf?" Dallas asks me, his eyes reflecting the bright screen of the T.V. His hands work furiously at the controls and he bites his lower lip in concentration.

"Yeah." I do as asked and soon have my own pet dog following after me. "Dal, there's two others over here. I have extra bones if you..." I trail off as Dallas takes the bones and tames his own wolf. Suddenly, it seems to be getting dark, both in game and out.

This is the best birthday I've had in a long time. And I'm spending it with my favorite people. It may not be much, but it means the world to me. These people may not be my biological family, but they are better than the one I have.

My mother's dead and my father hardly ever is home. But I don't tell people that. I just say my parents work late. Much easier and avoids unwanted pity.

After playing Minecraft for about an hour, Dallas and I head to the counter, our noses filled with the beautiful aroma of cake. It seems stronger than it ever has in the past, and I long for the soft taste.

With a laugh, Carly pulls back the white lid to expose the chocolate cake. On it are the words, "Happy 15th Birthday Nicole!" In gorgeous cursive scrawl.

A mechanical lighter lights the single candle on the cake, lighting up Dallas and I's faces. The dramatic shadows make him look as cute as a puppy and I regret saying that because he's my best friend. I shouldn't feel this way.

His expression is eager, as if given the chance he would dive at the cake. He bumps my shoulder, sending off an electric current through my whole right side. "Make a wish," he whispers. I glance around the room, at Carly's happy face and kind eyes, and then at Dallas's adorable grin. I make a wish.

With a large puff of air, the flame goes out after its quick dance.

--

Before I go home, Dallas and Carly give me a huge hug, making me feel like I'm about to pop.

"You feeling alright, Nicole?" Carly asks me, her eyes glazed with worry. I tilt my head in confusion.

"Yeah, why?" My eyebrows furrow. What a random question. I haven't acted sick, have I? I frown.

"No reason. Just tell me if something.... Doesn't feel right." She smiles to cover up her discomfort and embarrassment. Her smile is so much like Dallas's, making them both look as if they are descended from Angels.

--

Over the next week, both Dallas and Carly ask me if I'm okay or if I'm feeling different. Is there something wrong with me? I certainly don't think so. It's kind of odd because I haven't been acting abnormal.... Right?

Although, every day, my eyes seem to get sharper, my scent stronger, and my vision clearer. Adrenaline constantly floods my veins, making me feel faster and stronger. But I know I'm still me.

Another thing is that I've been having visions consistently. That's what I've decided to call them. Every night, I have a vision of the same brindle wolf running through the forest. Rarely do I catch the color of its eyes, but when I do, they are a glowing gold with a contrasting silver ring around the pupil. And something tell me this wolf is a girl. She seems familiar in the way she moves. Her steps are elegant as if she is dancing rather than running. Her fur catches the light, seeming to make her surroundings dull compared to her fur. She walks on her toes, ready for anything and she seems to be looking for something, or someone.