Chapter 35: I'm Sorry

Dallas's POV
--

I knock on the door of my house. I can't reach my key.

A few seconds later, Mum answers. Her face looks healthier than it had yesterday and when she sees me carrying Nicole on my back, she grins.

"I can't reach my key." I explain, indicating at how I have to hold her up. Mum only nods and opens the door wider for me so I can step through.

I head straight for my room.

When I get there, I carefully let go of one leg to pull the covers of my bed back. Turning around so my back is to the bed, I gently lean her back and take off her shoes. Then I slip her under the comforter, pulling it up to her chin. I kiss her forehead, pleased that I was able to do something and then head for the door. I'm hungry. I'm stopped by her grabbing my hand.

Her eyes are still closed, so I keep the belief that she's asleep. "Don't go." She says quietly, her voices raspy from sleep. Without a word, I move back to her, sitting next to her on the bed. My thumb rubs circles on her hand as her grip on my wrist loosens. This time, when I stand to go, she doesn't stop me.

--

Sitting at the counter of the kitchen, I talk with my mum. I haven't had a real conversation with her for awhile. My cereal bowl is almost empty, showing my hunger that has just caught up with me.

My mum and I laugh and talk and laugh and talk. I missed this when I was.... ill.

Her smile makes me happy. I haven't seen her smile this much since before Carter died...

And then my mum falls silent, glancing behind me and then turning around so her back is to me. What?

I almost spew cereal everywhere when I feel Nicole tazor me in my sides. I swallow quickly to avoid choking and whirl around. She grins up at me, her jaw jutted out and her shoulders squared from stubbornness. I glare at her.

Her fierce blue eyes stare back at me with the same intensity. Her lips are curled delicately in that little smirk she does and one eyebrow is perked while the other is pushed in, giving her that come-at-me look. I feel my mum's eyes on us.

"You're gonna get it now." I say darkly, unable to help the amusement laced in my words.

"Can't get what you can't give." She teases and takes off, me roaring behind her.

"NICOLE!" I yell, standing up from my stool and sending it crashing to the ground. Mum giggles beside me, covering her mouth with a hand. She knew Nicole was behind me.

I turn my gaze to her, narrowing my eyes. "You." I say. She points at herself innocently.

"Who?" She looks behind her to see if I was talking about some imaginary person behind her. "Little ol' me?"

I take a step towards her and she crosses her arms. "I am your mother. You can't do anything to me."

And that's when I grow that look in my eyes Mum recognizes. She opens her mouth and is a out to speak when I interrupt her by yelling up the stairs. "Oh, Daaaaaaad!" Mum's eyes widen and she glares at me.

"What do you want?"

"Nicole." I grin and mock bow for her. "Are you going to help?"

"Do I have a choice?" She teases and walks past me to the stairs. She walks up the stairs and I wait for Nicole. She doesn't come. Irritation floods me. I have a feeling treason is involved.

Cautiously walking up the stairs, I peek above the last step. Nothing.

I take another few steps down the hallway, curious and wary.