Chapter 36: The Grin of Death

Nicole's POV
--

Ian and Mason grin at Dallas.

"Hello, Dal Pal." Mason says. Ian spins a gun on his finger. The smell of blood becomes apparent; fresh and recent. Dallas stares at the two men.

"What are you doing here?"

"We're here to finish the job." They grin. "Spencer doesn't take nicely to unfinished work." Ian motions towards a fresh scar on his wrist and Mason motions to one on his neck.

"Leave my Mate alone." I say darkly, squeezing Dallas's hand. I can tell he's resisting the urge to step in front of me. That would make him an easier target and I know they won't touch me.

Mason and Ian shake their heads. "Oh, we don't have to kill Dallas anymore, though, we will eventually. We found... Someone else worth just as much." Mason smirks and Ian stuffs the gun into its holster. I don't understand why Dallas turns pale. The blood leaves him completely. I don't understand why. And then he pulls me into his parents' room, past Mason and Ian who walk down the stairs to leave Dallas's home. Their work is done.

Dallas screams and lets go of my hand. Lying on the floor is his mother, a bullet through her thigh. But it's not a dangerous area unless untreated. But then again, it's probably silver wolfsbane.

Dallas sinks to his knees in front of her, his hands shaking and sweating, his face contorted into one of agony.

"No.... No. No. No. No. No!" He chants. He lets out a wail, pulling his knees to his chest and rocking back and forth whimpering. His eyes are horror stricken. "Mum... Mum..."

Her angelic eyes are closed, thank goodness, and her glow is gone.

"Mum..."

Pained by grief myself, I look around. Where is Damian?

Oh, yeah. He's just writhing in silent pain on the floor by the door. I don't even bother to tell Dallas as I walk over to Damian.

He hisses and thrashes, his eyes as wide as the hole inside of him. His Mate is gone. I touch his arm, him becoming instantly still as he looks at me with dead eyes. He's going to die. He's going to die in a way worse than Dallas almost did. Because there is no cure.

"Damian. Damian. I'm going to help you stand. Do you hear me? I want you to close your eyes." I command, reaching my hand down to him. He hisses, but takes it, standing up many inches taller than me. His eyes are closed.

How am I so calm? Carly is dead. The woman that I just teamed up with to hit Dallas with pillows is dead. Gone.

It's because I'm the only one who can spare it. This deadly calm.

After leading Damian downstairs to lie on the couch and start whimpering, I head back up to see Dallas holding his mother's head in his lap. His tears again her death-paled skin.

I tap his shoulder gently and he looks up at me.

"Dallas, come on. Let her go." He whimpers and looks back at her head. His words are a jumble.

"Dallas. Come on..." I say quietly, feeling my eyes fill with tears. The shock is horrible. Why did they have to kill Carly? Why did they have to break the perfect little family they had?

I grab Dallas's hands, pulling him up. Both him and his father need to calm down before they say goodbye. I drape his arm over my shoulders and hold his waist to keep him up. He sags against me, his eyes closed to support the heavy tears forming.

Once I get the Amicus boys sat on the couch, they both sit in their own silent grief, mourning Carly.

I take this time to do the same.