Chapter 37: Alive

Dallas's POV

--

It's been a month since my mother died.

My father's still alive. This surprises us all.

Nicole has stepped in, quick to comfort him and take care of him. It's odd for me because he's always taken care of me. But now, it's opposite.

Surprisingly, my father has gotten better. He's able to sleep and eat. He's able to breathe. Hopefully this doesn't mean he's going to go insane. But I don't think he will. He talks more and he doesn't seem as distant.

Nicole, however, is always exhausted. I know that. She always tells me she's not and she denies it again and again, but I can tell. I can see it in her eyes. She is exhausted and would like nothing better than to collapse and fall asleep.

Because of this, I try to help her as much as I can. But I don't know how to do everything my mother did.

The best part is that Spencer has not talked to us once. Not one time. He has not come back for a month. He has left us alone.

It's too good to be true.

Honestly.

Oh, we've told my father our revelation about joining the Packs. He thinks it will work. Thank the goddess. He thinks we should. But I won't be Alpha until I'm eighteen. I'm definitely not ready for that title yet.

Nicole has to wait until she's eighteen as well. Then, her father has to give her the reins and step down. But we all know he won't. Not that easily.

--

Where's Nicole?

After eating dinner, she disappeared and neither my father nor I have seen her since. Her scent is still fresh and I follow the ghost up the marble stairs and into the hallway with my room. The scent seems to cling to the air, making it easier to track. I open the door of my room quietly, peeking my head in.

Sitting on my bed is Nicole. Her blond curls cascade down her back in a flurry. She's sitting so her back is to me and her head is in her hands. Exhaustion radiates off of her in waves and makes me feel tired when I shouldn't be. I hadn't realized that she was hiding her fatigue from me.

But she's let go. Her shoulders sag and her eyes are closed, making me wonder if she fell asleep like that. When I see her hand tapping against the comforters, I know she's not.

Seeing her like this hurts.

Why wouldn't she tell me? Why would she hide this from me?

She's not used to all this stress and work. She's taking care of my father and - as much as I hate to admit - me.

"Nicole?" I ask quietly, my voice low. Her eyes snap open and I can hear her curse under her breath. I've never heard her curse.

Immediately, the exhausted droop of her body is gone, replaced by her mask that she's hid behind for a month.

I step into my room, watching her.

"Why didn't you tell me?" She stands and I can see it takes a great effort to not collapse. I take the extra few steps toward her and grab her by the shoulders. "You need to rest." And then her mask is gone. Back to the exhaustion. She knows she can't deny it.

"I knew you would say that."

"Then why wouldn't you rest? You need to sleep. Do you even sleep at night?" She stares at me and I can see in her blue eyes that she barely sleeps. An hour here, an hour there. that's it. "Nicole..." My voice cracks and she shakes her head. Why haven't I noticed how dark her eyes have become? Why haven't I noticed how sleepy her face has become? Why haven't I noticed this?