Chapter 58: War

Dallas's POV
--

"Let's go." I leap off the front porch, shifting in mid-air, and take off through the forest. My pack follows behind, their growls of war urging me to move my limbs faster. Dirt flies around us, our thick paws driving into the ground for leverage.

Nicole runs next to me, her brindle fur highlighting her golden eyes. I couldn't stop her from coming. She wouldn't take 'no' for an answer and honestly? If it's my last few minutes of life, I want her to be the last thing I see.

We had decided Mason and Ian can come and fight with us. Though we don't trust them completely, we didn't put them in the prison. They were only following their Alpha's orders.

But I still have a lingering hatred for them somewhere deep in the pit of my stomach.

They killed my mom.

And Spencer killed my dad.

He's going to die today, even if it's the last thing I do.

I am scared. Terrified actually. People are going to die, and it's my job to lessen our casualties. I'm the Alpha. I'm in charge.

This is for my dad and my mom and my brother. And this is for Nicole so we can have a future together without any worries.

We reach the clearing where Spencer has gathered. His wolves immediately surround us and I know that we were set up. He knew Mason and Ian had run off and he knew exactly where and exactly why. And that's why he didn't stop them. He wanted it to happen and they were stupid enough to believe they got away that easily.

My wolves are behind me, Nicole is by my side and she is the only thing keeping me calm at the moment. I glance around, sizing up Spencer's army. It's much bigger than mine but we can take them.

His face twists into a cruel grimace which I think is supposed to resemble a smile. "Hello, Dallas." He says, spreading his hands. His dull eyes flicker to Nicole. "Nicole." He says, tipping his head. I growl lowly; I don't like him even looking at her.

He suddenly sniffs the air and his nose scrunches in disgust. "I see you're fully mated." He admits grudgingly. Triumph flares in my stomach.

"Yeah..." Nicole confirms, her eyes narrowing on her father. "What are you doing here?" She asks with a growl. Her father doesn't even answer, he just shifts and takes a pawstep forward. Shock quickly takes control of me and I find myself in wolf form sooner rather than later.

And then the war begins.

Fighting wolves surround me, the reek of blood soon becoming thick in the air. My mouth becomes metallic as I fight beside Nicole, who takes out wolves right and left. Pride floods me as I take out some myself. Her face is blank and I know that it's so that no one sees the disgust and feels the bile rising in her throat. But she forgets that I can because of the Mate Bond.

All I can say is that Mica is an amazing teacher.

A roar of pain rips into my shoulder, practically ripping a chunk of flesh from me. I howl angrily, turning to see my new competitor. He's small, but I can tell that that's the reason why he wins fights.

His eyes flicker to the side and I know he's trying to fake me, so I jump the same way he does, meeting him claw to claw. He manages to take a bite of my stomach and a claw to my chest before I finish him.

Next.

It goes on like that for hours. I vaguely keep an eye on Nicole, quickly realizing she doesn't need anyone's help.

We take out Spencer's army until his numbers dwindle. We have something to fight for. His pack does not.

At one point, I see Stan go down. Grief hits me and I know it's the end for him. Too much blood was leaving him and there wasn't enough time. Thankfully, Mica hasn't noticed yet.

And then something terrible happens. The fighting stops. Why is that terrible, you ask? It's actually not. It's the reason the fighting stopped that makes it terrible.

Spencer has his daughter in a choke hold, his hands wrapped around her throat. Everyone freezes and breaths are caught in throats, eyes wide.

I edge closer, warily. He growls and smiles his twisted smile. "One more move and I'll kill her." He warns. I halt my movements, swallowing hard, and look to see Nicole is staring straight at me. She knew this would happen.

"What do you want? Why are you doing this?" My voice is pleading and hoarse, but I feel nothing but fear.

"I want to watch your pack crumble and fall into a million pieces." He snarls, his eyes flashing. I can see Nicole wince as he tightens his grip. He wouldn't kill his own daughter, would he?

"What have we done to you?" I whisper. What would make anyone so cruel like this?

"You killed her! Your pack killed my Mate!" He snarls, shaking from anger.

"That wasn't us! You did that!" I shout. I don't stop looking at Nicole.

"I wouldn't have had to if you just left her alone!"

"You were forcing her to be with you! She didn't like what you were doing and you never listened! She came to us!" And I guess that's about all Spencer can take because his eyes are pitch black.

"I will watch you fall. I will watch every last one of your pack mates go insane and lose all ounces of hope. And to do that, I have to start with you." He growls angrily, his mad gaze twinkling.

And then I hear it.

I love you.

It's Nicole through the Mate Bond. Why is she telling me this now? I know she loves me. She tells me all the time.

And that's when Spencer snaps his daughter's neck with a quick jerk of his hands. I scream, horror flooding me. And then there's the pain, cold and rich.

HEY GUYS! So that was the last chapter. There is going to be an epilogue and probably a second book. And no. THAT IS NOT THE LAST YOU'LL SEE OF NICOLE. NOPE. So stay tuned!