Epilouge

Third person point of view
--

Blood reeked through the forest. The tall man with the murky brown hair and the nearly black eyes smiled maliciously as the boy with the blond hair writhed on the ground. The boy's lips were moving in a scream, his eyes squeezed shut from the pain of the death of the limp girl lying at the man's feet. People with the eyes of wolves watched mournfully from the sides as the boy, their Alpha, cried out. Relentless tears poured down his face. No one could imagine the agony he was going through.

Finally, the man spoke. "Should have stayed home, DalPal," he mocked, using the boy's father's nickname. The man, Spencer, suddenly grew serious. "I will kill you slowly. You will die on the inside." He promised, and without another word, he was gone, disappearing through the trees before anyone could comprehend what had just happened.

The Luna had just been murdered and the Alpha would die rather quickly without her. The pack bowed their heads.

Dallas screamed and shrieked painfully, sobbing and clutching his chest. He had scrapes and cuts all along his skin; some pieces of flesh were even torn out. No one moved.

And then someone did.

Another boy, about the same age as Dallas with brown hair and warm brown eyes, approached his best friend.

"Amicus..." He whispered, his voice hoarse and uneven. "It's... It's going to be alright. You're going... Going to be fine." Even as he said the words, he knew they were not true. A wolf who loses his or her Mate typically dies soon after. The brown-haired boy, Mica, knelt next to his Alpha. He laid his hand carefully against Dallas's arm, noticing his skin was feverishly hot and sticky. He was trembling, no longer thrashing.

Dallas was whimpering under his breath. Normally, this behavior would leave an Alpha mortified from acting like that in front of his pack. But when a wolf loses their Mate.... He no longer cares.

His eyes snapped open, green and dull. It was as if the light had left them. It made sense, really, because he had lost the will to live.

Mica stared at the limp body, still trying to comfort his best friend. The body was Nicole. She was dead. She had known them all for about three years, almost four.

Her head laid at an awkward angle, her eyes open and sightless. She was like a sister to Mica, the sister he had never had. He tried to force himself to believe she was dead. It nearly killed him, so he could not imagine what Dallas must feel.

"She's gone," came a raspy voice. Dallas was laying on his back, staring emptily at the sky. His breathing was heavy. "She's gone...!" He sobbed, reaching up to cover his face with his hands. Dark blood smeared his skin.

Like Mica had seen Damian, Dallas's father, do when he was alive, he stroked his Alpha's head. "I know, Dallas. I know." He said quietly. Mica felt tears surfacing in his own eyes. "I'm so sorry. Goddess, I'm sorry." He croaked. He had never met his Mate, so he had no idea what it was like. But he could guess. He had just lost his father minutes ago, the only family he had. His mother had died when he was young.

Mica ordered the pack to go home and take care of injuries and count the casualties. He remained with Dallas, stroking his head and murmuring soothing words.

Hours passed rather quickly. It became dark as Mica's eyes drooped from exhaustion. He, himself, was suffering from some wounds as well. He didn't care.

Dallas had finally settled down, swallowing hard and turning his empty gaze to his Beta.

He hoisted himself up, his arms shaking. He offered to help Mica and Mica gratefully obliged. They stood next to each other, brushing themselves off. "Thank you," Dallas finally said, his voice quiet.

Mica didn't respond, lost in his own thoughts. He walked towards Nicole, his feet crunching dead leaves. He heard a choked noise behind him and turned to see Dallas watching brokenly.

Mica knelt and grabbed one of the girl's hands, bringing it to his forehead with an upset noise rattling his chest. He felt rather than heard or saw Dallas walk towards them. He kneeled and grabbed her other hand, kissing the back gently. His eyes were tearing greatly. It was a miracle he was able to keep his composure.

"I'm so sorry, Nic. I'm so sorry." He whispered. Mica wanted to whimper, but he had to stay strong for Dallas. He needed someone right now.

He stood tall, stiffly straight.

Dallas had moved his grip to her head, pulling her up so her forehead rested against his. He was sobbing again. Mica really wished he would stop. It was devastating to hear.

And then the weirdest thing happened.

She moved.

Dallas didn't seem to notice, but Mica did. He could have sworn her fingers twitched, but he could have imagined it.

There it was again!

He knew he wasn't bluffing now.

"Dallas..." He whispered, taking a wary step back. What in the goddess's name was going on?! Dallas did not respond. This time, it was her head that moved. "Dallas...!" Mica said, more urgently, his brown eyes wide.

And then a breath. It was as if she had come back from the dead. Nicole gasped, her breathing heavy and strained. Her eyes filled with life once more.

Dallas had pulled away, his emerald eyes wide and round in shock. Nicole blinked her eyes hazily and licked her lips. Her blue eyes glittered intelligently.

"Do I have something on my face?" She asked, reaching up hesitantly to touch her cheek. Dallas opened and closed his mouth. Mica started laughing, keeling over hysterically. She blinked again, raising her eyebrows. "Do I?" She asked again, unable to hide the growing grin on her face.

Without a word, Dallas kissed her.

Her eyes shot open in surprise.

Mica continued to laugh hysterically, tears running down his face.

--

"How are you alive?" Dallas asked, his eyes watery and wide. He had explained the whole thing to Nicole, from when she died to when she awoke.

She smiled sheepishly, her smile seeming as bright as the sun. "I had a vision before the fight." She started. "It was that I had stayed home and you had been killed by Spencer. That's why I had insisted to go so badly. Because I thought that if I went with, maybe you wouldn't die. I thought that I could try and change my vision. And apparently I did because it ended up being me who died." Dallas stared at her, swallowing thickly.

"How does that make it so you came back to life?" He asked. His emotions were swirling; upset she hadn't confided in him, proud she had done what she did, happy she was alive, sad she had died.

She blinked in confusion, frowning. "I... I think it's because you were supposed to die and I was supposed to live when I actually died and you actually lived.... I think it -"

"- counteracted and canceled out. Because you weren't supposed to die, you came back to life." Dallas said, his eyes widening somehow. "How did you think of that?"

"I didn't. I winged it." She said, her eyes darting around. "Where's my father?" Dallas's gaze darkened.

"He ran off after you died. I will kill him." Dallas promised. Nicole looked taken aback. She had never heard Dallas talk like that before.

"Not right now." She said, leaning forward to kiss him. "Right now, just be happy that he's not here."

Dallas smiled.

"I'm just happy that you're here. You're all that matters to me. You."

The END! There will be a second book! It will be about Mica and his Mate but it will have a lot of Nicole and Dallas in it. And there will be a surprise! Stay tuned! Thank you all for sticking with me!