Chapter 5: A Galaxy

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

--
Nicole's POV
--
,
"Hello, Nicole." Sneers Chloe. Her red hair is done in ugly red curls. Ruby chews gum noisily, her breath smelling like mint now. I don't like Mint anymore.
Mm... Maybe I do.

My favorite mint scent drifts down the hall. That means Dallas is near. I can't let him see me like this; being tormented!

Chloe snatches my wrist.

"Are you listening, brat?" She growls in my ear, shoving me to the ground. A startled yelp leaves my lips as I desperately put my hands in front of me to cushion the fall.

Stinging pain shoots up my arms making me breath heavy while on the ground.

"Are you still talking to that guy?" Ruby lugs me to my feet, an ugly glint in her dull brown eyes. I'm going to have a bruise on my arm tomorrow.

I don't answer and grit my teeth. That's when Chloe slaps me. The impact is so hard, I stumble backwards and fall to my knees. Tears of pain trickle from my eyes as I stare at the floor, utterly humiliated. That's when the voice sounds.

"What do you think you're doing?"an Australian accent sounds behind me. And this time, the words don't sound so fluent. They sound angry.

Shoot. I've been seen. I don't move. I'm too embarrassed.

Chloe and Ruby's eyes widen and then they roll.

"She got what she deserved."

A vicious growl comes from behind me, making me look up to see a blue eye and a brown eye. Dallas's hands are clenched at his sides, his head tilted in a threatening way.

"If that's what she deserved, then what do YOU deserve?" He took a menacing step forward. He's not going to hit girls, is he? "You should leave. Now." His voice holds no room for argument and the girls strut away with a flip of their hair.

Before I can move, tingles and sparks shoot through me as Dallas helps me to my feet. I brush my pants off, avoiding his anxious gaze, and mutter a 'Thank you.' His hand remains on my arm.

"Are you okay, Nic?" He asks. I can feel his eyes take over me, from head to toe. Then suddenly, surprising me very much, he wraps his arms around me in a hug. The Sparks overwhelm me, but I don't push away. They only draw me towards him. I inhale his Mint scent quietly as I feel his heartbeat through his shirt. "I'm sorry... I'm so sorry... I'm sorry I wasn't there sooner." He whispers into my ear. Regret, pain, and sorrow lace his words making me confused. Why does he care so much? No one has before.

That's when I pull away from him.

"It's not your fault. It's like they said. I got what I deserved." I respond with a tight-lipped smile before turning my back on him and stiffly walking down the hall. His imploring gaze watches the back of my head and I turn to meet it.

His eyes are an emerald green again.

--

Next period, I know I'll see Dallas again. And I'm ashamed.

I sit in my seat in the back of the class, doodling on extra binder paper when I feel a shadow over me. The comforting Mint scent makes me since as I look up to see who else, but Dallas.

"You're a really good artist," he tells me and plops himself into the seat next to mine. I ignore him and keep doodling, my intricate lines turning into the galaxy. They spiral in ways that only I can see and once I'm happy, I lean back in my chair, not realizing Dallas is practically touching me from leaning so far over. "How did you learn to do that?" He asks suddenly, looking up at me. I try to avoid his gaze again, but the depths of his eyes suck me into them. They seem layered, full of emotions that I've never seen or experienced before. I know if I try to look away, it'll be impossible unless HE lets me. They remind me of Mint leaves and the Emerald gem that hangs from my mother's neck most of the time. Why can't I look away? Immediately, I answer that question. Because his eyes are too beautiful. I'm not even kidding. It sounds cliche, but I can literally look at his eyes all day without a problem. They fill me with a strange desire, a desire to just be near HIM. They make me remember my years of torment and I actually believe, even if only for a second, that he can help me. He blinks, startling me.

"I-I... -practice." I respond after a moment, a fierce blush making my cheeks redden. I know he noticed my staring at his eyes. But how could I not? I never allowed myself a REAL glimpse of him. And I still haven't. Just his eyes. I know, though, as soon as I DO allow myself... Oh. No. I can't let that happen. No.

"Mhm. Well. You are amazing." His words slap me in the face.

"I'm no more amazing than the next person." I feel humble, suddenly. It's like he brings out the good side of me.

"Well. The 'next person' must be pretty darn good."

--

After class, I head to the library like usual to wait my thirty minutes. But again, a presence disturbs my stroll.

Dallas bumps my shoulder with his own casually, a gesture that has me flustered. Doesn't he have any other friends?

"Hey. Wanna hang out again?" He grins, his dimples flashing and I look at him skeptically, trying to hide how much I want to say yes.

"Hmmm... I don't know..."

"C'mon. You can't resist this." He motions to himself, making me roll my eyes.

"Sure. Your house or mine?"

"We can go to mine." He responds, his eyes fogging slightly. No one else would notice, but I do.

"Alright. Do you walk or does someone pick you up?" He grins at my question, making my heart flutter. These feelings need to go.

"Walk." He nudges my shoulder again and we turn to the doors. He casually opens the door, leaving me flustered yet again as we head out into the crisp air. It makes my eyes water and my skin tingle. Or maybe that's just his hand on my arm as he pulls me down the sidewalk.

We walk side by side. Silence fills the air for the longest time until he finally looks at me.

"You got any siblings?" His Australian accent makes me want to sigh in happiness, but I suppress it.

"No. Just me and my dog."

He nods, quickly countering the first question.

"How come those girls bully you?" His voice is calm but I notice the clench in his jaw, the ripple of muscle catching my eye immediately. I can see his knuckles turn white as they clench and unclench into fists. The pat of his footsteps sounds heavier; angrier.

His question catches me off guard so much, I almost stumble and fall.

"W-What?"

"You heard me."

"I-I really don't know. " It isn't a complete lie. But he obviously sees right through it.

"Nic. Why?" He grabs my arm, stopping so I have to, too.

I look down at my feet.

"I don't know. When we were younger, they were so much nicer. We were best friends. I don't know what I did." He nods, appearing satisfied.

"Well. I hate bullies. " His voice comes out a growl, startling me.

"I do, too."

Well.

Off to Dallas's house we go.