Chapter 4: Chewing the Fat

Nicole's POV
--

After school, Dallas walks over to my desk as I pack up. I quickly put my glasses in their case and and away into my backpack before lifting myself to my feet. We head to the door together, being the last ones, and turn left toward the school exit.

"Do you walk home?" He asks me, resting his gaze on me. I nod and glance down at the time on my phone. 3:30. I usually stay at school for another thirty minutes. Not today! "Will your parents be okay with me coming over on such late notice?" His eyebrows furrow and I can't help but stop and stare at him. He crosses his eyes. "What? What's wrong?" He jokes, grinning as I giggle.

"Just thinking. I don't get why you're so nice to me."

"Why shouldn't I be?" His face is back to normal.

"I don't know." I frown, making him tilt the corners of my mouth upwards with his pointer fingers. Tingles tickle my lips making me shiver. What the heck?

"Turn that frown upside-down!" He grins and keeps walking, me slowly following behind.

"Do you like dogs?" I suddenly ask him.

"Do I? I love them." He responds cheerily.

"I have one at my house. His name is Shock. You'll love him!" When he doesn't answer, I look over at him. His eyes are filled with nervousness.

"I'm sure I will." He finally says.

--

When we reach my house, I unlock the door and walk down the hallway. Pictures of my parents and I dapple the walls, making my heart ache. They are never home. Dallas grins, looking up at pictures of baby me and my younger parents.

"You have a beautiful family." He tells me, suddenly. That's when I remember. I didn't hear the flurry of paws on tile. Where's Shock? Dread washes through me at the thought of him somehow getting out.

"Shock?" I call out, heading into the family room. I call out a few more times, searching all over.

"I'm sure he'll return later." Dallas startles me from my thoughts. The sincerity in his voice surprises me.

"I-I hope so..." I feel tears prickle at the corners of my eyes but quickly blink them away before anyone can notice. "It's weird, not seeing him." I frown again.

"Hey. It'll be okay." He reassures, touching me lightly on the forearm. Sparks fly up my arm, making me pull it back quickly. Before I can ask what just happened, Dallas has his back to me, heading to the couch. He plops down on it and leans back, looking around. "You have a nice home. "

"Thanks." I awkwardly walk over and sit next to him. "What do you want to do? I'm not used to having people over." I grin sheepishly.

"You have a trampoline?" He asks, an eyebrow quirking.

"Yes. How'd you know?" I ask surprised, standing up.

"I had a hunch." He grins and stands up as well, grabbing my hand and pulling me outside.

--

After jumping on the tramp, playing a round of Xbox games, and eating pizza for a snack, Dallas has to go.

I walk him to the door, grinning as he tells me about one of the books he's reading. His accent is honey to my ears, making his words sound right and more meaningful.

"Thanks for coming over." I say. He startles me by pulling me into a hug, him being a few inches taller than me. Sparks and tingles shoot along my skin making me gasp, but he keeps his grip. They only make me want to hug him more, and not let go. My heartbeat picks up its pace as if it's running a marathon. He smells of Mint, making my mouth water. I love mint.

"Thank you for having me," he says before pulling away. Something is terribly wrong, though. I can't figure out what until he turns away and walks down the stairs of my porch. There's a bounce in his step, and he shoves his hands in his pockets. His dirty blond hair is still ruffled in that way he has it as he strides down the sidewalk.

Only then do I realize. His eyes weren't green.

They were a light blue and a milky brown. Something so familiar, it makes me stumble backwards. There's only one other animal I know that has those eyes. My dog, Shock.

But it's not possible for human eyes to change all by themselves in a matter of a few seconds. Were his eyes always that way?

No. No, no.

Then, is it possible for him to have changed eye colors so fast?

Is it?