002: lunch box

(A/n: omg i recognise so many of y'all like i normally have the brainsize of a pea but suddenly i can name so many of you guys accounts
Thank you for reading this book ily)

____________________

eunji's p.o.v

Fuck.

I wasn't sure if I cursed out loud or if it was just in my head, but I really didn't expect meeting anyone in this hidden place at all.

"Who the hell are you?" Jungwon's clear voice echoed through the passageway.

Well, how great.
Panic started to spread through my whole body, as I cursed under my breath for a second time for disturbing the two of them.
They obviously had to talk about something privately.

And here I was disturbing their moment, like the fool I was.

"Who was that?" I could barely hear Sangmi's quiet whisper, as I internally let out another curse.

I missed my chance to leave quietly.

Great, now it looked like I was spying on them.

I covered my mouth trying to not accidentally make a sound out of surprise, when I heard foot steps slowly coming closer to me.

Don't, Don't, Don't, Don't-

"Sangmi wait-" I heard Jungwon say, right before they reached me. Only a few metres were separating us. "I meant it, Jungwon. Can't you just accept it? Just..stop trying." Was the only thing she replied.

This was the perfect chance to escape!
I crouched down to pick up my lunchbox hurriedly, when suddenly a pair of shoes stopped right in front of me.

"Fuck." Yes, now I was sure that I just cursed out loud.

Of course it had to be Sangmi.
How did she get here so fast and inaudible?

"I'm sorry! I didn't mean to listen to you guys' conversation-"
I started stuttering, trying to explain myself as I stood up straightly.

I felt bad for disturbing them and on top of that rumours going around about me being a spy or stalker were the last thing I wanted to happen.

What if they thought I was a pervert?

A deep shade of red spread across my face.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to continue, because she just looked at me shocked and disappointed at the same time, before she turned away to leave.

Why did she look so sad?

"Wait-" I was just about to stop her, when out of nowhere Jungwon grabbed my wrist and turned me around to him.

I was just trying to catch my breath from the heart attack caused by no one other than him, while a pair of two eyes were darkly glancing up at me in the corner of my eyes.

"I'm sorry." Was the only thing I managed to say, when my gaze automatically went to the ground after I held eye contact with him for exact two seconds.

I would have gotten lost in his alluring eyes, if I had looked any longer, so I broke the eye contact, before it was too late.

Not gonna lie, Jungwon looked damn intimidating, glaring down at me like that.

"What did you hear?" He spoke out quietly, still looking at me.

There was no sign of anger in his voice, but more of a threatening disbelief radiating from him, which was even worse. I gulped.

"Nothing. I really heard nothing." I murmured quietly, never feeling more small than I did right now.

It was like he was going to kill me any moment from now on and I needed to be prepared.

When he didn't say anything, I hesitantly looked up to meet his eyes again. To my surprise, his eyes softened immediately.

Jungwon swiftly took a step back and eventually let go from my wrist either, which he had been unconsciously holding the whole time.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." Jungwon apologised, as his voice trailed off.

It was now his turn to look down.

"It's okay! I'm sorry..too."
Damn it, why did my voice have to give up right now?

Just when he was about add something, I hurriedly grabbed my lunchbox that has been rotting on the ground ever since I dropped it, before turning around to leave.

This whole situation was too overwhelming, for someone who nearly never interacts with others.

I told myself not to look back. Not even once.

But I couldn't help it. Just when I was about to exit the school gate, I would turn around hesitantly.

I did expect Jungwon to at least try to stop me, but he was still at the same spot as before.
He hadn't left.

Probably because he was still stunned and hurt by the apparent rejection he had to go through just a moment ago.

And the rejection which I accidentally got ahold of.

I really was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

I could see him sitting on the school garden's bench, his face buried in his hands. His posture nothing close to the perfect straight back he would always show during class.

Now that I thought about it, I didn't know him.

I didn't know Jungwon at all.

"I hope, I didn't make things worse." I whispered to myself, walking to the bus station and taking in a deep breath, "For me and for him."

Eyeing the inhaler which I was holding tightly in my hand, I let out a sigh.
The uneasiness in my chest area started to increase the more air I was taking in and the only option I had was to use this unpleasant device.

"8...9..10." I counted and put the device away from my lips before breathing out deeply.
My heart was still beating faster than ever. It took a while till the inhaler showed his maximum faculty.

And on top of that I couldn't seem to relax and focus, because the image of Jungwon's bitter features never left my mind ever since.

I've never experienced him ever being sad or upset before.
Jungwon always has been the cheerful kid in class. One might say he was the most cheerful among all.

Was now the time to change that?

"Doesn't matter." Again, I mumbled to myself.
A bad habit ever since I was home alone often and which I've been trying to get rid of.

Why should I care about my other classmates anyway?

I've survived up until all this time laying low. And I'd continue doing so.

After 30 minutes of walking after arriving at the end station of my bus, I let myself drop on my bed.

Too much happened today.

eunji's p.o.v end