032: extravagant

eunji's p.o.v

"The masquerade..?" My voice sounded hoarse, as I continued to look at him wide eyed.

I totally forgot about that, too busy caring about my own problems.

The yearly masquerade at our school, of course! How could I forget about that.

All these years I spent dreaming about finally meeting the love of my life there, drink expensive grape juice and wear the most beautiful gown in the whole ballroom.

But then again, I was just dreaming after all.
And now it was finally our year's turn to be able to participate.

"Jungwon, I-I don't know." I stammered, avoiding his gaze, "I'm not sure."

I was internally cursing at myself.
Why would I even need to think about this?
Jungwon. The Jungwon. The person I was risking my life for was asking me to be his date, why would I even think twice?

"Do you already..have someone?" Jungwon looked down, his voice discouraged, as l immediately shook my head.

"No! Of course not." I looked into his eyes.

I was just too afraid..of the consequences that were awaiting me, the moment I agreed.
If I agree, my whole plan would be down the drain.

"We are only going as friends, Eunji. You don't need to worry. I heard others are going as friends too." He added as if it would make me help deciding.

Right.
Friends, friends, friends. I've been hearing that word even more often these days now that I think about it.

"I would love to go with you." I looked down, not as happy as I thought I would be.

"Jesus christ, I thought you were going to say no." Jungwon dramatically exclaimed and huffed a breath.

Before I could answer, he then grabbed my shoulders to turn me around, so I was facing him with my back.

"W-what are you doing?"

"Putting on the necklace of course."

"I told you I can't accept it! It's too expensive-"

"Eunji." He calmly spoke, his voice sending shivers down my spine, "This necklace is not just for the ball, but because I wanted to thank you."

I could feel his breath hit my neck, as I stopped breathing myself. He was close.
Too close.
His hands gently placed the jewellery around my neck, as I glanced at it.

A red rose.

God, I didn't like it.
It reminded me too much of Sangmi.

"Thank you for staying by my side till now." Jungwon then spoke, suddenly wrapping both his arms around my torso, as I gasped in surprise, "I never really say stuff like this outloud, but knowing how many times I've wronged you..makes me feel even more grateful for our friendship. You were always there for me whenever I needed you and I wanted to thank you for that."

I stayed quiet, taking in his words.
Too concentrated on everything he just told me, I didn't have enough time to get all fuzzy about the fact that he was actually backhugging me.