029: despair

Jungwon's eyes widened in surprise.
It hasn't been long since he went to the girl's house, but now that he stood in front of it, a lot sure changed.

It almost looked like there hasn't been anyone around for ages.

"Open up.." Jungwon shuddered as a gust of wind flew right in his face, before he rung the door bell.
His expression dropped as silence came to meet him.
And he rung again.
Silence.
And again.
Silence.

Feeling discouraged and about to give up, the thought of breaking down the door crossed his mind, as he heard the faint voice of Eunji from the inside.
"Wait!.."
Her voice was weak, almost unnoticeable. He would have missed it if he hadn't been listening attentively.

"I-I'm sorry, my mo-" At first, Eunji's gaze was directed to the ground, but the moment she recognise the shoes, her head went upwards.
"Jungwon." Her voice died down the moment later, while she stared at the boy, who was already eyeing her intensely.

"Listen Jungwon, I don't know why you are here.." Eunji started, while trying to cover up her face with her arm awkwardly. Which didn't work especially well, she knew that herself, but it was much better than being completely exposed to the boy, "Didn't Sangmi tell you-"

"What happened..?" Jungwon finally spoke, taking a step closer to her.
She on the other hand froze, her hand clutching onto the door tighter. With a look back, she gulped.

The petals still laying on the carpet motionlessly.

"Nothing serious."

"What happened?" Jungwon repeated, his voice a lot more stable, as his wide open eyes softened at the girl's sight, "This doesn't seem like nothing serious to me."

"I've been pulling a few all-nighter these past days." Eunji chuckled halfheartedly, trying to take away at least a bit tension.
Eunji's eye bags were dark and especially highlighted by the girl's pale skin. She looked almost dead, if one could say that.

And just when it couldn't get more bizarre, he discovered a bit of blood in the corners of her mouth.
And her eyes. Her once luminescent eyes looked so tired, that Jungwon couldn't help but sigh.

"This can't be from lack of sleep." Jungwon slowly spoke, his hand reaching over to put down her hand that was still covering half of her face, "What the fuck did you do?"

She didn't answer. Her vocal chords stopped working, making her look down.
"I-I didn't-"

Jungwon already lifted up her face with his hand under her chin gently, his eyes staring at her still as intensely as before.
"Blood. There's blood."

After a short silence he spoke again, "Did someone hit you?"

"No!" Eunji's eyes widened, as she shook her head vigorously, "You are overreacting-"

Putting down his hand, Eunji frowned.
"It's because I've been stressed. I always accidentally bite my lips by accident." She wiped the blood away with her free arm. Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies.

"Then why did you tell Sangmi that you weren't reachable? Why are you avoiding me?"

"Jungwon-"

"Everytime, every single time I think we get closer like we did at the party or at the school garden", Jungwon took a step closer to Eunji, as she froze, "Everytime I think I managed to take a step closer to you, you step one back. It's like you hate the idea of us being..close."

He took one last step, now standing directly in front of her.
Eunji on the other hand didn't move this time.
She didn't take a step back.