013: the beginning꧂

"Jungwon be completely honest..Are you dating Eunji?" Sangmi asked curiously, tilting her head while crossing her arms.

Jungwon on the other hand was taken aback.
That's why the girl asked him to talk? To talk about his relationship with his friend? He was disappointed.

"What if I am?" He provoked and raised and eyebrow, "What does it have to do with you?"

Eunji's heart stopped at his answer.
"What?" The girl mumbled and dared to peak a little further through the small window, separating the affected.

Right now, Sangmi was sitting on top of a class desk, while Jungwon casually leaned against the blackboard.

Eunji on the other hand crouched down, so they wouldn't see her. She wanted to leave so bad, but something in her wanted to know what they were talking about and stopped her.

Sangmi seemed unfazed at his provocation and just nodded, "If you are, then I would be glad. I'm glad that you got over the incident-"

"Incident? That's what you call my feelings for you? A mere incident?" He interrupted her harshly.

"No Jungwon, you got this wrong." Sangmi stated calmly, knowing that the boy would get the wrong idea, "I saw you today. You looked so happy at the school garden with Eunji. Heads on top of each other and laughing. You guys seemed close so I thought-"

"Listen. You thought wrong. I don't even know if I'm happy right now."

"Jungwon." Sangmi sternly said, "Stop clutching onto the past like that. Look, the two of us got to know new people and we are doing fine."

"You are right. If you haven't rejected me back then.." He emphasised on 'rejected' and scoffed slightly, "I wouldn't have met Eunji. And she was one of the best things that happened to me after you, but that doesn't mean I don't miss you or our friendship." Jungwon's voice was clearly hurt, "Eunji's a friend- Heck, she's just a classmate. I don't know if I'm genuinely happy with her or just..

..distracted from you."

"Oh." Escaped Eunji's lips.

Something in her shattered.

Eunji herself didn't know what, but now that she thought about it, she kept denying to herself the fact that Jungwon's heart had always belonged to Sangmi since the beginning.

While she was nothing but a mere friend to him.

His kind actions, his affection and his words that swayed her feelings in just a second have always been a sign of friendship and she misunderstood them all.

Eunji by now knew that she indeed was dense.

Dense, for even thinking that there was a chance that he would like her back after or thinking that she might have been the reason for the smile he had always on his lips.

The reason behind his smile has always been Sangmi.

After all, Eunji was just a distraction, he even stated that himself.

A distraction to help him forget his feelings for Sangmi for some time just for him to run back to her again the moment Sangmi asked him to.

But Eunji wasn't mad at him.
He had been friends with Sangmi for so long since they were little kids, young and innocent.

Of course he would be affected by the sudden end of his friendship with Sangmi, but hearing those words from his own lips how he still is in love with his childhood friend since day one, broke her now that she was so sure of her own feelings.