004: friends

(a/n: WAIT i am pretty surprised to hear that some of y'all have asthma too Let's suffer together everyone)
___________________________________________

The next days Eunji obviously avoided the boy as much as possible.
She took a bus later, left the classroom immediately the moment the bell rang and everytime he even looked to her direction, she turned away and went to Ara, who was always busy chatting with Sunoo.

"What's wrong?" Her friend giggled at Eunji's clingy and nervous behaviour, before nodding to Sunoo, signalling that she had to take care of her silly friend, who was already looking around anxiously.
"I'm hungry. Let's get something to eat." Eunji suggested hurriedly and grabbed her lunchbox tightly.

The smile on Ara's face vanished completely, as a flustered expression swapped her normally confident attitude.

"Food?" Ara looked away and scratched the back of her neck.

Eunji tilted her head and suspiciously glared at her friend, trying to find out what her friend was hiding, "Why? Are you full already?"

"It's just...Sunoo asked me to study with him." Her friend eventually gave in, making Eunji cover her mouth in shock. "He what?!"

"It's nothing big!" Ara shook her head, "He's just struggling with maths and I wanted to help a fellow classmate out, you know."

Eunji let out a wheeze, still covering her mouth.
She couldn't believe it.
Sunoo, one of Jungwon's friends and one of the smartest kids in her class was asking her friend for tutor lessons? This was more than suspicious.

"Ah, really? Don't worry don't worry." Eunji immediately shook her hands and giggled, "It's alright. I will eat alone this time, but..."

Getting closer to her friend's ear, she whispered, "Don't ever forget me, alright?"

Eunji happily skipped towards the school garden, holding her lunchbox in her right hand.

She was genuinely happy that her friend got to built friendships and relationships with others and just wanted the best for Ara.

"Hi." A voice called out of nowhere.
She was just about to turn around the corner when she spun around at the familiar voice, dropping her lunchbox at the same time.

How ironic.

"God, you scared me." Eunji hadn't even looked at the person yet, still panting.
These days, people sure liked scaring and startling her.

"I didn't mean to, sorry." Jungwon let out a beam, before taking steps closer to her.

It was a coincidence to meet her here and he was more than happy to finally have the chance to talk to her.

Eunji's eyes widened.
She hadn't expect to meet him here again after their unpleasant encounter.

Jungwon swiftly picked up her lunchbox with a smile on his face. "Nice to finally meet you."

Lucky me!
The boy was more than happy at his past self for deciding to go outside to get some fresh air. Or else he would have missed this precious chance to talk to the girl.

He had been feeling sad the whole day and wasn't in the mood to talk to any of his friends, as much as he adored them.

"Yeah..me too?" Eunji awkwardly answered, taking back her precious lunchbox, before preparing herself to leave again.

She was just about to walk pass him, when his hand gently grabbed her arm, stopping her.
"Where are you going?" He raised an eyebrow at her cheekily.

"I-I'm not hungry anymore..And I need to study! Yeah." She nervously turned around to him and excusing herself.

But he wouldn't let her go that easily.

"Have you lost your appetite because of me? Is my face that ugly?" Jungwon tilted his head cutely and looked at her with big eyes.

Would it work? God, Jungwon would feel embarrassed the moment those words left his lips.

"No, you are actually very attractive."

"What?" The boy didn't expect that as an answer.

Eunji's eyes widened for the 100th time today.
What has gotten into her?!

She turned around and cursed herself out mentally.
Why did you have to think out loud? Dumbass.

Chuckling, Jungwon took her hand and just dragged her to the school garden, where he planned to eat his lunch as well anyway.

"I..You know." Eunji hesitantly stopped walking, making him stop too, "I won't tell anyone about what happened. I really won't, so you don't need to do.. all of this."

He slowly turned around to her. "What?"

"Back then. Here. I didn't mean to eavesdrop and disturb you guys." Eunji looked down, "I will keep it a secret."

Secret? The boy was dumbfounded when it suddenly struck him.

"No, you've got this wrong." Jungwon shook his head at her, "I want to eat with you, because I want to be your friend and because I want to apologise again. I was acting ridiculous and you didn't do anything wrong. So please..will you eat lunch with me today?"
He almost looked at her with puppy dog eyes, as she turned away, not sure how to react.

"Alright..."

"You know.." He started, munching his lunch happily, "I was afraid I had to eat alone, but I'm glad I met you."

Eunji just nodded, feeling too shy to reply.
She just followed his actions and took a bite from her sandwich as well.

"What's your name?"
She choked on her bread out of surprise by his sudden question.

He didn't know her name?

"You don't...know?" Eunji hesitantly asked, feeling ridiculous.

"I'm sorry..should I?" Jungwon furrowed his eyebrows in confusion and looked at her apologetic.
Now that she thought about it, he never once talked to her nor mentioned her name in any way.

Jungwon really didn't know.

"I've been in your class for 2 years." She mumbled, feeling bitter all of a sudden.
Was she that unnoticeable?

"Wait really?! Oh god, I'm so sorry." The boy eyes were widened to the fullest and he started feeling so bad, that he ended up giving her one of his heart-shaped cucumbers.

Eunji's bitterness would vanish. At least the boy was honest. On top of that, she would be often absent because of hospital appointments because of her medical conditions.

It wasn't his fault.

"I knew that I was really bad with names, but I didn't know it was that bad." He said to himself, making the girl break out in a fit of laughter.

His confused face looked so innocent and cute, that she couldn't help but laugh.

"Then let's start all over." She suggested, feeling comfortable all of a sudden. She held her hand in front of him and smiled, "I'm Eunji. Kim Eunji. Nice to meet you."

Enthusiastically, he accepted her handshake and smiled back, "I'm Jungwon and I would love to be your friend."

A blush started to spread across her rosy cheeks, as she smiled shyly.

Her first friend besides Ara.

Is this going to end well?