Chapter 13

I was feeling a lot better today. Not one hundred percent, but close. I decided to call Rylee to cheer me up.

"Hey!" She sounded happy as always.
"Hi, what's up?"
"Not much, you?"
"I don't know, yesterday I was really sad... Now I'm ok."
"Why were you upset?"
"Juan," I admitted.
"Just text him."
"I can't! What will he say?"
"How am I supposed to know? The only way to know is to find out by texting him."
"True. I know your right, but I'm scared to text!"
"Come on, don't be afraid!"
"What if our relationship is ruined..."
"Then you guys were never meant to be, trust me, if that's the case then you'll find someone else."
"I don't want to find someone else!"
"I felt the same with my ex, Brett. He was perfect and then he cheated on me... I thought I'd never find anyone else, but then you introduced me to Ander and I really like him and I think he really likes me."
"You know what... I'll text him."
"Yes! You go girl! Talk to you in a bit, bye."

She hung up. I stared at my phone for a while. I finally built up enough courage to text him.

"Hi, it's Scarlett."

I waited a minute. Five minutes. Ten minutes. After ten minutes, I got a response from him.

"Hi..."
"Listen, I'm really sorry about the other day. I shouldn't have yelled at you like that, you were only trying to be polite. I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to act like that."
"I need to apologize, too. I shouldn't have rushed you to leave."
"It's ok, don't worry about it. How about we meet up?"
"Ok where?"
"Your place maybe?" I felt like I needed to get out of the house.
"Can't sorry, how about yours?"
I didn't want to shut him down again, "Alright, sure..."
"When is it a good time for me to come over?"
"In an hour, that's good."
"Ok, see you then."

I needed to tell Adnan. I would just make up and excuse to get him out of the house. I felt bad about lying to him. Lying is never good, look what it's done to Juan and I. Although, maybe it would be ok just this once. How bad could it be? What's the worst thing that it could lead to?

"Hey, Adnan?" I said, nervously approaching him.
"Yeah, what's on your mind?"
"I invited Rylee over, so I was just wondering if you could... How do I say this... Stay out of the way?"
"I get it. I'll just be upstairs."
"No... I mean, could you get out of the house for a bit?"
"Why?"
"Uh, I don't want her freaking out like she did at Old Trafford."
"Oh yeah, that was weird. I'll go over to Marouane's place."
"Ok, thanks so much."
"No problem..." Something was wrong.
"What's wrong?"
"It's just," he paused, "I was hoping to spend the day with you, just you."
"Oh, Adnan..."
"It's ok."
"Wait!"

He was already walked away, but he stopped. He faced me again. Our eyes locked and I started to speak.

"Maybe... Tomorrow. I just wanted to spend a day with Rylee. Is that ok?"
"Anything's ok with me. Tomorrow sounds great."

He left the house and drove away. I texted Juan and he said that he was on his way. I wanted to get ready, but I was too lazy. I was dressed in navy blue sweatpants that were baggy, but became tighter near the ankle. Also, I wore a whit tank top that was partially covered by the unbuttoned red and black plaid shirt. It was just something comfy that I could relax in. Nothing fancy today.

There was a knock on the door. I went to answer it and, of course, it was Juan. He was wearing black jeans with a blue Puma sweater. In his hands, was a bouquet of flowers. He didn't have to bring me that!

"Come in and you didn't have to give me that!" I said, when he handed me the flowers.
"I did, it's my way of apologizing."
"Well then what's my way?"
"You don't need to be sorry. And, if you are, just having me over is a good way to make things up."

We walked into the other room and took a seat on the couch. I switched on the tv and we flipped through the channels, trying to find something decent to watch. Slowly, I felt his arm sneak it's way around me. I jumped a bit, but let him keep his arm there. We sat close together, watching tv.

I don't know what I was thinking. Was I out of my mind? I guess I kind of did like Juan... He wasn't that bad, he was actually really sweet. I could see myself being with him in the future. But, I knew whenever something was going down the right path for me, it always ended up getting wrecked. I enjoyed this moment with him. Everything was ok between us.

It had been a few hours spent with Juan. Suddenly, I heard the lock "click" open and I heard someone step through the front door. Adnan. Oh no.

"What was that?" Juan said.
"Nothing!" I stood up and looked to the door, Adnan had already made his way into the room.
"What's going on here?" Adnan asked.
"Um..."
"Adnan!" Juan said, surprised, "What are you doing here?"
"Uh... I live here, this is my house. Would you care to tell me what your doing in my house?"
"I'm with Scarlett!" He yelled at Adnan, "Scarlett, what? He lives with you?!"
"Yes, I'm sorry. Let me ex-"
He didn't let me finish, "No! This... This is just too much!"

He pushed past Adnan, grabbed his coat, and slammed the door behind him. I heard his car, as he drove away. I ran over, but Adnan blocked my way. I just screwed up everything.

"Scarlett... What's going on?" He looked hurt and betrayed that I was hiding everything from him.
"I can explain, just not now," I tried to go around him, but he grabbed me by the shoulder.
"Is everything ok?"
"I need to make things right."

I walked away from him. I quickly put on a thin, brown coat and slipped on a pair of black boots. I didn't look back at Adnan once. Juan was all that was on my mind. I rushed outside and planned to get a cab and follow him quickly. I needed to find him...