Chapter 45

I was awoken by a bright light. It took a while for my eyes to adjust. I studied my surroundings and came to the conclusion that I was in a hospital room, lying in a hospital bed. In the corner, was a man who was sitting down with a clipboard in his hands. I was pretty sure he was the doctor. He tapped his pen on his thigh. He looked up and noticed I was awake. The tall man came by my side.

"Scarlett Mackay?"
"Yes?"
"Do you remember anything?" He questioned.
"Not much after I was hit..."
"Well, the two of you were in a car crash. If you feel your cheek that is the only injury you suffered."

I ran my fingers over my cheek and something else. I wasn't quite sure, so the doctor handed me a small mirror. On my left cheek, was a dark coloured bruise under my eye. It was about the size of a golf ball. It was from Adnan... Underneath that, was a line of stitches.

He continued to speak, "The glass from the windshield or side window must have cut you, but we've fixed everything."
"Thank you."

I looked to the other side of the room. There was another bed with another patient in it. Their face was hidden, but partially exposed. They had light brown hair, like Adnan. Wait... Was it Adnan?

"Excuse me."
"Is everything alright?" The doctor asked.
"Yes, things are fine, but who is that?" I pointed to the other patient.
"The boy who was in the crash with you. Adnan Januzaj, right?"
"Oh ok."

I began to walk over to him, but he doctor out an arm out to stop me. I slowly backed up in confusion. I wanted to talk to him and sort things out. I hated arguments with him. It felt like my insides were being eaten out, it was a horrible feeling.

"Let him rest..." He instructed.
"Ok..."
His eyes slowly opened, "I'm awake," Adnan clarified.
The doctor had to explain everything to him, "Adnan, you've been in a car crash along with Scarlett. She had a minor injury that could be fixed with some stitches. On the other hand, you've broken your arm and will need to be in a cast for four to six weeks. I've notified both your parents and they will be here shortly."
"Alright," he said, looking at the cast.
"I'll leave you two here."

The doctor left the room and shut he door. There was silence. I stared into his eyes and he stared back into mine. He finally said something.

"Bad luck with car crashes..."
"Adnan, be serious," I kneeled down by his side.
"Scarlett, look I'm really sorry," I could tell he meant it, "I never meant to hurt you... This is all my fault."
"No Adnan, don't blame yourself. Accidents happen and I forgive you."

I placed my hand on his face. A warm tear trickled down his cheek and I wiped it away with my thumb. He gave me a weak smile. Our moment ended when there was a knock on the door. The doctor re-entered the room.

"Your parents are here to see you and there is also another visiter."
"Ok. Adnan, I'll go. You stay here and rest."

I went outside and Gani and Abedin greeted me with a hug. They asked if I was ok before seeing Adnan. Then, I was left with my parents. Their arms were crossed and they didn't even looked concerned for me. I stood there awkwardly waiting for them to say something to me.

"The doctor explained everything to us. That bruise, he hit you?"
"Um, yes, but it was an accident!" I protested.
"Scarlett there is no accident like that!" My dad yelled.
"It'll never happen again! Trust me!"

I was trying to defend Adnan, but my parents kept making him seem like a monster. They were telling me that he'd abuse me and all it had to start with was an accident like this. I didn't believe one word of it. Adnan was a nice boy and he wouldn't hurt me on purpose. I put my trust in his hands.

"Please, it wasn't intentional!" I begged.
"He is violent. I'm sorry Scarlett, looks like you'll have your way and not get married," my mom said.
"This is not fair! You can't tear us apart!"
My dad yelled at me, "He is a foolish, immature boy! He can't control his actions and will hurt you!"
"He won't," I cried.
"I'm sorry, we're going to have to call the whole wedding off. Be careful what you wish for," my dad just shrugged.

I could feel the tears welling up in my eyes. The palms of my hands were sweaty, my cheeks were hot. A thousand different feelings were swirling inside. I felt like I was going to explode, that's how overwhelmed I was. I was going to lose Adnan.

A voice that I hated interrupted my parents and I, "Is it ok if I check up on Scarlett?"
"Sure, you must be a better boy," my mom glared at me and sent me this look.

They left Juan and I alone in the hallway. As soon as my parents turned the corner he began to speak. He lifted my chin. His hands on my face made me jump.

"Are you ok?"
"Yeah, just the crash."
"Adnan should have been paying attention, he caused this."
"No, he didn't."
"Yes, he did," Juan said, "and that bruise?"

He touched the bruise lightly and I felt a shock of pain. I stepped back and covered my cheek.

"He did that..."
"Accidentally."
"But he hurt you!"
"It wasn't his fault!"
"Still... I would never hurt you... Because I love you and obviously, he doesn't."

Those words crushed me. He hugged me and then left, leaving me with something to think about. The door to the room opened and Adnan's parents left. They looked at me and smiled. I waited for a moment, then gently pushed the door open. Adnan's eyes were red and puffy. Looks like he had been crying. I sat down beside him.

"They're making me leave you," he sobbed.

I wrapped my arms around him and he held me tight, with his one good arm. He cried harder.

"Adnan, don't cry because you're going to make me cry!" Tears ran down my face.
"Stop, beautiful, it breaks my heart when you cry," he touched my cheek.
"Are you ok, hurt?"
"What about you?"
"Adnan, your arm, you'll be out of football for a bit."
"I don't care, you're all that matters right now."
My heart almost leaped out of my chest, "No, my mind is on you."
"Now, are you ok?"
"Yeah, just my cheek is a bit sore."
"I'm sorry..." He apologized.
"It's ok, just I don't know what I'm going to do..."
"We'll work this out, I promise, because I love you."
"Me too!" More tears dripped down my face and I started to shake. I was scared.
"Shh, it's going to be ok."

I lied down beside him. A few minutes passed and it was quiet, but in a good way. Neither of us really knew what to do or say. We sort of just lied there sniffling and crying softly. I tried to muffle the sounds of my cries, but that didn't work, so I kind of just gave up. Our fingers were intertwined, but I let go and sat up on the edge of the bed. I faced him and placed my hand of his cheek. I bent down, making sure not to crush his broken arm, and kissed him.

Our lips connected and a billion fireworks exploded above us. He held the back of my head and tried to sit up, but was far too weak. I softly pushed him back down. I cupped his face in my hands, so that we were eye and eye. I slowly pulled away. We gazed into each other's eyes and just held that stare. It was perfect, but not all good things last.

The butterflies in my stomach disappeared and my joy slipped away. I knew what was going to happen now. Nothing. I got up and walked to the door. Ever so slightly, I turned my head and said my last words to him.

"Goodbye, Adnan."