Chapter 57

I haven't been in contact with Adnan for a long time... My parents won't even let me look outside, I mean seriously. They've cut me off from the outside world. I miss him tons, but whenever I try and sneak out, I get caught.

It's only been a few days, but it feels like forever. I missed his game on the weekend and was forced to watch from tv. He came on late in the second half. After the game, people were saying how he didn't do so well. They said it looked like he had something on his mind. I knew what. It was me. I felt bad that I had an effect on his performance. We needed to meet soon.

My stomach growled and I knew it was time for me to eat. Clutching my abdomen, I walked to the kitchen. I pulled open the fridge and made a list of possible things to eat in my head: fruit, veggies, pasta, fish. I don't know. I just grabbed the container of sliced cucumbers that I didn't finish eating the other day. I munched on them and sat down onto the couch.

"What did you eat for lunch?"
"Nothing."
"Come on, eat something else."
"No, dad."
He sat down beside me, "Scarlett, what's wrong with you?"
"Being separated from Adnan," I muttered.
"You know the reason why you're not aloud to see him."
"But I just think it's so stupid!" I got up from my seat.
"Sit down."
I refused, "No."
"Scarlett, come here!" I continued walking.

I chucked the container onto the counter. It slid across the surface and came to a stop just before sliding off the edge. I walked to my room and sat down at my desk. I decided to doodle a bit. Just some random sketches. When I looked over them, they really reflected my mood. I drew a girl, curled up with her head in her hands. She sat with her knees at her chest and was crying. Another picture I drew was an eye with tears and mascara running. I guess I was really sad...

My phone began to buzz and make all sorts of sounds. My ringtone was going off and I made an effort to ignore it. If my parents saw me on the phone, they'd take it away, but I didn't see any of them. I took my phone in my hand and peeked out of the crack of my door. No one. I checked the screen. Ugh, it was Juan. I answered just because I hadn't talked to anyone in a while.

"What do you want."
"Your forgiveness."
"Not going to happen," I said seriously.
"Please, let me make it up to you!"
"How? How exactly do you plan to do that?"
"I don't know..."
"Tell me, Juan."

The line went silent. I knew it, he had no response. I could hear his breath.

"I'll think of something."
"Well, when you have an idea of what your going to do, show me."
"I will, don't you worry."

He hung up after that. Idiot, after all he's done how did he think he was going to make it up to me? No matter how many apologies he made, he'd never gain my forgiveness. Ever... I wondered what he was going to do, though. He seemed desperate and he was really trying. In a way I felt bad for him, but I didn't let my feelings get the best of me this time.