Chapter 60

We invited Rylee and Ander over to our house for the night. Rylee and I had pulled out our sleeping bags and everything. We decided to crash in my spare room. The little lanterns that lined the wall luminously lit the room. We slumped onto some beanbags in our comfy, fuzzy pyjamas. Hers were pink and purple cheetah print. Mine were just blue with white polka dots.

Adnan and Ander would sleep in the master bedroom. Ander got to sleep on the floor, how nice. The two of them poked their heads through the door, as it was getting late, to say "good night".

"Hey, ladies."
"Hey," we said.
"It's almost midnight, you should sleep," Ander told Rylee.
"But, I'm not tired!"
"Sleep, you need it."
"Why," she complained.
"You too, Scarlett."
"Me?"
"Yes, you."
"Nope, were not sleeping!"

We crossed our arms. Ander and Adnan exchanged glances which made me uneasy. Rylee and I both shuffled in our seats. Adnan sighed.

"Then I guess I'm going to have to resort to... Tickling you!"
"What?!"

Before I could do anything, I felt his hands at my sides. He tickled me, while I gasped for air. In between laughter, I tried my best to get my words out.

"Ad- Adnan... P- please stop!" I whined. Rylee was giggling and squirming next to me.
"Not until you listen!"
"F- fine!"

I gave in. The tickling stopped and he bent down and kissed the top of my head. By his shirt, I tugged him back in for a real kiss. He held it for a moment, then backed away. Ander said "good night" to Rylee and kissed her, too. So cute. I wondered if they thought that way about Adnan and I. When they left, I was still trying to catch my breath and I held my stomach.

"They didn't just do that."
"They did," I said.
"Ugh! Why, Ander?!" She playfully tossed a pillow at the wall.
"Let's turn out the lights before they come back again."
"Gladly."

I got up and switched off the lights. In darkness, I crawled into my sleeping bag. Rylee snuggled into hers, as well. She questioned my relationship.

"So, you and Adnan are officially getting married again?"
"Yes, we found out a few days ago."
"Are you excited?"
"Of course I am! He's taken me out on a simple date, since the good news."
"Where to?"
I explained, "We just went out for a walk. He bought me an ice cream, too. It was sweet and thoughtful of him. Overall, I'm just so happy that I'm living with him again."
"Yeah, that's good."
"Things with you and Ander are well?"
"Hmm... Alright, I guess..."
"What's wrong?"
"Lately, we've just been getting into fights and stupid arguments that don't even matter."
"Don't worry about it, that's ok. All couples fight, even Adnan and I."
"I'm not so sure this time..."
"But, you seemed fine just a second ago? When he kissed you good night?"
"It's just because there's an audience watching us."
"Things will get better," I reassured her.
"Thanks. You know, you're really lucky to have Adnan, he's great."
"You're just as lucky to be with Ander."

She told me about all the other stuff happening. The topics that were causing problems were really pointless. They wouldn't matter to anyone in two days time. It did seem to be upsetting Rylee, though. I tried to help her in the best way possible. I gave it my best shot.

"Anyway, enough about me. Have you planned anything for your wedding? I heard the due date is at the end of the season."
"Yeah, it is. And nope, nothing is planned."
"What?!"
She seemed astonished, "Is everything ok?"
"Scarlett, weddings take lots of time and planning. It's not just a thing that you can throw together in one day. There's invitations, and a location, cake, your dress."
"I've got a dress."
"You need to get it ready for the day. How about bridesmaids? Maid of honour?"
"I didn't think about that..."
"See, not to make you feel bad or anything, but you need to get things in order."
"Alright, but as my maid of honour I'm going to need your help."
"What?!"
"Be my maid of honour?"
"Yes!"

She was like a sister to me. There was no doubt in my mind when choosing her. I didn't even have to think twice.

"Ok. I'm going to help you get invitations ready, order a cake. Oh! Show me your dress! And... And let's pick where you want to get married. The rings! Oh my gosh, how will he propose?!"

Rylee babbled on for what seemed like hours. This was going to be interesting, but I really did need her assistance with things. I just hoped that this whole arranged marriage would go the way it was supposed to...