Chapter 19

I had just finished eating lunch with Adnan. I cleaned up my dirty dishes, rinsed them off, and loaded them into the dishwasher. I sat back down at the dining table, next to Adnan.

"So, you're ok now? No more headaches, dizziness, pain?"
"I'm all good."
"The doctor was right, it took just over a week."

We sat close together. Adnan moved his chair closer to mine. I was starting to feel a little nervous and uncomfortable. Couldn't he have just stay seated where he was? At the same time, I didn't mind it. Man, I really needed to figure out my feelings.

"Hey, do you have David's number?" I asked.
"Yeah, why?"
"Just thought I'd give him a call. Cause, you know, I haven't talked to him in a while because of the accident."
"Oh ok."

I pulled out my phone from my pocket and gave it to him. He dialled the number, then handed it back. The line was ringing. Adnan watched me wait, when finally, he picked up.

"Hello?"
"Hey, Dave."
"Speaking?"
"It's Scarlett."
"Scarlett!"
"Yeah, hey. Adnan gave me your number."
"So, what's up?"
"I was just wondering if we could meet up and go for a walk or something?"
"Sounds great!"
"Nice."
"I'll be at your place in a bit."
"You know where I live, right?"
"Yep, Adnan mentioned the address a while ago."
"Ok good, see you then."

I was super excited to see him. I had seen him at training with Rylee, but that wasn't very long and we didn't get to have a good conversation. I missed him. Right now, I was really happy and couldn't stop smiling. Adnan seemed confused and looked to me. He asked for an explanation of what was going on.

"What's the plan?"
"David and I are going to meet up for a bit, is that ok?"
"Of course."
"What are you going to do while we're out?"
"Stay home, just relax."
"Ok."

David appeared at the front the about a half an hour later. I put on some running shoes, good for walking, and headed out the door. I said goodbye to Adnan and locked up the front door. We walked down the busy streets and then into a park, which was more peaceful and quiet.

There were some birds, chirping in the trees. The grass was green and some patches were filled with flowers. David walked over to one of the flower patches, bent down, and picked one. In his hands, he held a small flower. It had a small yellow centre with vibrant violet petals. He stood up tall and tucked it into my hair, which made me smile at him. He smiled back.

"What made you want to see me today?"
"I just wanted to talk, feels like I haven't seen you in forever."
"Same. It's been so long since we've spent some time together."
"Yeah..."
"Anything you wanted to talk about in particular?"
We sat down on a park bench, "Actually, yes."
"Ok, what is it?"
"Juan."
"Oh..." His expression suggested that he knew what had happened.
"Yeah, he found out about my marriage with Adnan and I'm guessing he didn't take it too well."
"He missed two practices and no one could get a hold of him," he told me.
"Really?"
"Yeah, coach got really mad at him after he showed up again. He didn't include him in the starting line up or substitutes the next game."
"I remember watching that on tv, he wasn't even there."
"I know, Adnan did well in that game."
"I saw. I wish I could've been there, but he insisted that I stay home."
"It was probably best."
"Probably."
"Is everything good, now? You're healthy?"
"I feel great, like it never happened."
"I'm glad," I was looking down at the ground, "is everything ok?" He asked.
"Yes, don't worry... It's not you."
"Who is it then?"

I ended up just explaining everything to David. About how I found out about the marriage, meeting Adnan, moving in with him, liking Juan, the accident, Rylee, Rylee and Ander, the almost kiss, Juan ignoring me... His face looked surprised, he was shocked. I don't think he knew what to say. Honestly, neither did I. I think I just needed someone to talk to so I could let it all out and get it off of my chest. Sometimes that made everything feel better.

"You need to speak to him."
"I can't!"
"You can, Scarlett."
"No... Not now."
"Whenever you're ready, sooner would be better."
"I realize that, but I'm afraid of what he'll say."
"He's upset, but you need to sort things out."
"Dave?"
"Yeah?"
"He said he was going to show Adnan how lucky he was to have me, what does that mean?"
"I'm not sure, but it doesn't sound too good. I'll keep an eye on him for you."
"Thanks you, you're the best."
"I just want you to be ok."
"What if he does something bad? Hurts Adnan?"
"I won't let him do that, they're friends and friends don't fight that way."
"Are you my friend?"
"I'm your brother and you're like my little sister."

His arm was around my shoulder and I rested my head on him. He's a good big brother, always looking out for me. I was just worried that he wouldn't be able to stop Juan...

I'm doing a lot of writing today and I'm opening things up for you guys. What ideas do you have that you would like to happen? I'll try and consider your thoughts and maybe put them into the story. I have things in mind, but it'd be nice to see what my readers want to see.