Chapter 33

"Adnan, are you ready?"
"Yes, you look nice."
"Thanks," I blushed, "you do too."

Adnan wore a navy blue suit, but the tie was absent from the outfit. That was ok, he still looked dashing and I complimented him. I just wanted to make up for yesterday.

"I just wanted to say sorry for yesterday..."
What he said confused me, "You did? I should be sorry!"
"No, I shouldn't have tried to do that. It made you feel uncomfortable."
"Adnan, no it was my fault."
"How about we forget that and enjoy this night?"
"Alright," I linked arms with him.

We drove to his parents house and were greeted by Gani. She hugged Adnan and I and kissed us both on the cheek. We were kindly invited in.

"Adnan! I haven't seen you in forever!"
"Hey, mom, nice to see you too."
"Scarlett!"
"Hi, Gani!"
"Welcome, come in. Abedin, they're here!"

He came down the stairs and welcomed us, too. Shortly after we arrived, my parents knocked on the door. Our parents talked a bit, then we all took a seat at the dining table. There were lots of conversations going on. Gani was in the kitchen, but still saying the occasional thing here and there. My dad and Adnan's dad chatted about football, my mom talked to me briefly. When no one was talking to the two of us, Adnan and I would talk.

"What do you think we're here for?" I kept my voice low.
He whispered too, "I don't know, maybe my parents missed me."
"My mom said there was something to discuss."
"Uh oh, that doesn't sound too good."
"I know."

We were interrupted when Gani brought dinner over to us. That ended our conversation. The dinner prepared was delicious. All of us sat at their long dining table. When we finished our meals, the big discussion began.

"All of us have discussed this," my dad started.
Gani took over, "We have chosen the date."
"What? Date?" Adnan asked.
"You will be married two weeks from now," my mom and Adnan's dad said together.
"What?!"
"That's right," my dad confirmed.
"I don't want to get married!" I screamed.
"Excuse me? That's my son," Abedin said, sternly.
"I don't care, I'm not getting married," I shot them all a nasty look and crossed my arms.
"You are getting married!" My mom yelled.
"No!"
"Adnan, you surely agree, right?" Gani questioned him, she hoped he would choose the right answer.
"You know what, mom, dad? No! I'm done with this marriage!"
"Adnan Januzaj!" Abedin shouted, "You will marry Scarlett!"
"I will not!"
My dad took his side, "It's too late, Adnan, we've set up the date. We just need to confirm it."
I defended Adnan, "I don't want to get married either, why force us?! You haven't confirmed it you say? Call the whole damn wedding off then!"
"Scarlett, watch your language!"
I stood up and slammed the table, "I am not getting married."

I was done with this whole argument. Stop forcing us into marriage, it was stupid.

"Yes you-"
"Shut up, mom!"
She was shocked by my response and slapped me across the face. Adnan shoved her against the wall, "Get off of her!"
"Don't touch my wife!"

My dad pushed Adnan out of the way, but Adnan stood his ground. He was strong. Abedin restrained Adnan, Gani was hiding behind the two in shock. My dad was at my mom's side. I stood in the middle, my cheek stinging. Tension floated around the room along with fear and anger.

"Stop!" I screamed, "Just change the date!"

That made everyone stop and think. It was good to take a break from the constant bickering and screaming. I hoped our parents wouldn't disagree with me.

"Fine, you will have until the end of the season to plan your own wedding. If not, we will not hesitate to step in," Abedin said. Gani, my mom, and dad nodded in agreement.
"But, that's in a month!"
"It doesn't matter."
"Come on, we've only known each other for just a short amount if time."
"At the end of the season, you two will be married. No exceptions."
Adnan loosened his fathers grip, "Let's just get out of here, Scarlett."

We left his parent's house. Adnan opened the car door for me, then shut it once I was inside. He got into the car himself and started to drive home. It was silent.

Then, I said, "My parents... They hate me."
"They don't, Scarlett."
"Yes they do!" I began to cry.
"Everyone is just a little bit upset at the moment."
"She slapped me."
"Let me see," he looked at my cheek, "it's starting to bruise already."
"Great."
"So, do you hate me so much that you don't want to marry me?" He asked.
"No, it's just that I feel like I'm too young."
"Ok good, I feel the same. I don't hate you though, you're an amazing girl."
"Thanks, Adnan. You're great yourself."
"I just don't understand why I should be married now."
"I don't know either."
"Hey, I have an idea."
"What's that?"

What idea could Adnan possibly have. I hoped it was a good one.

"Our parents want us to be together and if we don't do it ourselves, they'll force us into marriage."
"What are you saying?" This sounded crazy to me.
"Give it a try."
"It's better than being forced, I guess..."
"So, let's try and see where things go."
"Are you-"
"Yes," he answered, "let's go out sometime, like on a date."
"What?"
"Yeah."
"Are you being serious?"
"Yep."
He sounded so calm and sure of himself and then there was me who was literally freaking out, "So we're going out, on a real date?!"
"Only if you say yes."
"Sure!" I smiled.
"I can get tickets to a concert that's coming up, you want to go?"
"That sounds fun."
"Great, it's a date."