Chapter 25

It had been about three days since the incident... I was shutting everyone out. When I could, I'd visit my parents, to get away from Adnan. I mean, how could he? I thought he actually liked me, but I guess he was still interested in her. Whenever I was with him, I'd stay away. I was either locked in my spare room or sleeping on the couch. I refused to go near him.

I was locked in my room, slouched onto one of my bean bags. I dimmed the lamp, so I was almost sitting in the dark. I hadn't checked my phone, since I was sleeping and crying. There were lots of texts from Adnan, some from Rylee, and... A few from Juan.

Adnan's texts were just saying how sorry he was and how he wanted a second chance. Yeah, that was not happening. I didn't care how many times he apologized, it was over. Rylee just texted to check up on me and see how I was. I guess she heard. Finally, I checked the text messages from Juan.

"Hey, Scarlett. I heard what happened... Look I'm really sorry about that."

How did he know? How did everyone know so fast? I guess rumours were going around on the team. I debated with myself, whether I should reply to him or not. I did. He was all I had, right now. Maybe I was the one who made the mistake. Maybe I should be with Juan, not Adnan.

"Yeah... Thanks for checking up on me."
He replied instantly, "No problem, I just hope your ok."
"Um..."
"What?"
"I was just wondering if we could meet up sometime?"
"Yeah sure, when and where?"
"Your place."
"Ok, come whenever you feel like it."

I hadn't showered in days. I went into the master bedroom, because I was going to take a shower, and Adnan was laying on the bed. He was staring at the ceiling until I entered. He sat up straight and ran to me.

"Scarlett!"
"Don't waste your breath," I put a hand out to stop him from getting any closer.
"Please, you need to listen to me!"
"Adnan, I don't care what you have to say. I used to, but nothing that comes out of your mouth matters to me anymore," I walked into the bathroom.

A single tear rolled down my cheek. I wiped it away with the sleeve of my shirt. I stepped into the shower and started the water. It crashed down on my back and soaked my hair. I rubbed in shampoo and conditioner. After I was done with everything, I stepped out and wrapped a towel around myself. Finally, clean. I felt a lot better, as if the water washed all the bad feelings and memories away, but it couldn't make the scars disappear.

Adnan wasn't in the room. I rushed over to my dresser and pulled out a sweatshirt with some skinny jeans. I bolted into the spare room, since I didn't know when Adnan might be back upstairs. I quickly got changed and sneaked out of the house. Juan had texted me his address, so I made my way over to his house. When I got there, I knocked on the door. He greeted me and invited me in.

"Scarlett! I'm so happy to see you, come, sit down." We sat on the couch.
"Hey, Juan..."
"How are you?"
"Not good."
"It's ok, I'm here for you," he opened his arms and I hugged him. My head lay on his chest.
"Why would he do that?" I sobbed.
"I don't know, but you deserve better... I can't believe he would do such a thing."
"Why..."
"Scarlett, your the best girl ever. I promise never to do anything like that to you."
"Ok," he made me feel better.

His arms were around me. We sat in silence for a bit, until I calmed down. When I finally stopped crying, I sat up. He looked me in the eyes and pushed my hair behind my ear. He lifted my chin, so we were eye to eye. His hand was warm, under my chin. Having him so close made me shiver, I'm not sure why. Maybe because of what happened between us in the past. I wonder if things were still the same. If he still liked me like he did then. Something was different. The way he talked, acted. Something was up. I just wasn't sure yet.

"Scarlett, I would never hurt you."
"I know."
"Are you feeling better?"
"Yeah..."
"Scarlett?"
I looked at him for a response, "I love you," he told me.
"I kind of love you too right now..."

It was true. He was there for me when Adnan wasn't. I couldn't believe how understanding he was. Literally, every word that exited my mouth, he got. Maybe he was my match, my other half. I was starting to think that my parents paired me up with the wrong guy.

A few hours later, I had to break the news to Juan that I had to go back home. To be honest, I was sad too. He hugged me goodbye and I got a cab ride home. The streets were dark. I paid and thanked the cab driver before I got out and left. Quietly, I entered the house. I didn't bother to change, I just made my way to the couch to sleep. Unfortunately, Adnan beat me to it. He must have known I'd come back sometime and sleep on the couch. I was forced to face him.

"Adnan-"
"Let me speak to you!"
"Not now!" I shouted loud.
"Oh, well I didn't mean to bother you. Just know, that I'd never hurt you. It's fine if you don't want to believe or trust me. It's ok."

He left and went upstairs. Something told me to believe Adnan. Was he right? Was he telling the truth? This was so confusing. Who should I trust? Juan? Adnan?

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. The screen lit up and indicated I had received a message. It was from David. I fumbled with my phone, before getting a grip on it, and unlocking it.

"Scarlett, it's urgent. I just realized something. You need to meet me tomorrow at training."