Chapter 4

marinettes pov:

I can't believe this. Here I am being threatened with death or worse but i'm not running or fighting. Instead i'm stuck here doing maths homework with an oddly unhelpful tikki. You'd think after being around for 5000 or so years she woulda picked up how to do quadratics but no.

Glancing across at the red kwami i notice she's actually on the verge of sleep and giggle. Hearing me, she opens one eye slowly and realises i'm laughing at her. Flying towards me she changes the subject to Adrien.

"I still can't believe you almost told him!" she says still half asleep but also full of pride.

"Yeah but key word is almost." i chuckle sadly, before muttering "what if i mess it all up and say it wrong though?"

"What if you practiced it?" she said gently. "Adrien said Chat was coming tonight why don't you try it on him?"

"Good idea tikki!" i say whilst leaping out my chair to work out exactly how i want to say it. Tikki turns away from me but not quickly enough to hide a large grin forming on her face. Hmm. What is she up to?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

lilas pov:

God where is my mum. I swear she's literally never here. She keeps pretending she has a job but I saw those redundancy letters before she hid them from my sister and I. Not that i want her to be here. I just need her to add to my plan. 

I turn on my phone and go to Adriens instagram. He's just posted a new one, promoting marinettes parents bakery. Ugh and she's in the photo looking like the awkward fool she truly is. Well jokes on her, that'll be the last time she'll be in a photo with him for a while.

"Poor little Marinette, you have no idea what's coming for you..." i murmured to myself, scrolling through the comments of the post. All the comments are so kind. Except one, by someone with the username 'therealqueenbee'. Assuming that the comment belongs to Chloe because being queen bee is basically her whole personality at this point, i like the comment. Just as i double tap the screen, i hear the key turn in the door. 

Pretending not to hear i stay in my room for a few seconds until my mum pokes her head round the side. 

"Hey honey, how was school?" she asks, trying to make conversation with me. I know she's expecting me to ignore her or respond with one word but she's in for a shock tonight. Not that I want to make conversation with her, she's just a pawn in this game of chess.

"It was alright I guess..." i start and she nods, already closing the door. She's learnt after last time she pestered me and i threw my pillow at her promising it would be something harder next time. Realising my chance is slipping away from me i add quickly ".. would it be okay if i had a small party at the weekend mum. Everyone's getting super stressed about akuma attacks and finals and i think it would be such a good moral booster!" i smile brightly, praying she doesn't question it. It was my lucky day.

"Hmm.. i suppose it wouldn't cause any akumas..."she ponders. "okay you can invite your class, and a couple others from outside if you want, like that Luka who has a crush on you." she smiles and winks cheekily.

"Mum, you know perfectly well my boyfriend is Adrien but thank you for the party." i say forcing a fake smile across my face that i know she'll happily believe.

"You're welcome honey im glad you're making friends. Anyway I have to get to work, love you bye!" she says bustling out of my room with much more energy than she entered with. I know she's probably off to the pub or something but tonight is not the night to call her out on it. Tonight is the night to commence phase 2 of my plan.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marinettes pov:
"....and im done!!" i say happily, finishing the last of my declaration of love, jumping up suddenly and disturbing the balanced tikki dozing on my head. 

"honestly tikki the amount youve been sleeping today suggests you had no sleep at all last night" i laugh as she tries to look awake.

"thats because i didnt. I was communicating with plagg. He felt a bad aura around his owners house yesterday and wanted to check it with me." she yawns and drifts into my outstretched hands.

"oh no is chat noir ok?" i ask nervously.

"he's fine we think it was just that plagg ran out of cheese. Needless to say im ignoring him at the moment for messing with my sleep" she grumbles whilst i laugh.

"speaking of chat when is he meant to come tonight?" tikki asks, laughter evident in her eyes.

"I have absolutely no idea, that cat is never on time but then always manages to show up right when i need him."i moan trying to seem frustrated but i can't hide my soft spot for the cat. He's probably the most supportive person of me, in both of my forms actually, and i really appreciate him. Sometimes his puns are even a little bit funny, but ill never ever tell him that.

"I think ill go outside to my balcony for some fresh air" i decide, snapping out of my thoughts.

Tikki yawns before flying up and nodding "okay lets go"

"w-what? tikki you dont have to follow me to the balcony" i giggle "if i need ladybug you'll be right here!" i try to reassure her.

"Its not ladybug im worried about." she says finally looking concerned. "its you. I can't leave you alone when someone is threatening to get rid of you."

"But tikki you said you thought it was just threats..." i say nervously, looking at her with wide eyes.

"I know and i still think that, but i'd rather be safe than sorry" she says firmly and then flies off towards the balcony, leaving me to follow her, frustrated and afraid.