Chapter 29

Adrien's POV:

We've been patrolling for about half an hour before we decide to part ways. It felt odd patrolling without my bugaboo - she's only been gone a few hours but knowing she's unsafe makes my blood run cold. When I find her I'm going to ask for us to become an official couple. Maybe as Adrien she'd say yes?

It's weird, she's always mentioned another boy, and Marinette wanted to practice a declaration of love to me, but I hardly see her around other boys. I mean she has her own life, I'm not constantly with her, but by knowing both sides of her, I thought her rejections might make sense. In fact they confuse me more.

But that doesn't matter, what matters right now is finding her and making sure she's safe. 

"I should head off." Lucy says beside me, glancing at the time on her weapon.

I look up at her and see she's watching me carefully.

"Family dinner." she explains when I look offended.

We agree she can keep her miraculous and she jumps off to detransform.

"Don't stay out too long." she says, looking over her shoulder, just before she disappears from view.

After a few seconds I leave in the opposite direction, ready to charge Plagg and then resume the search. We checked about half of my aimed amount so it shouldn't take too long to do the rest. And Chloe might be along a bit later which will make it less lonely.

Landing in an alley way, I de-transform and pass Plagg some cheese. He takes it appreciatively whilst I check my phone.

Chloe: something came up - hope all is okay.

I sigh and place the phone back in my jacket. I guess the next half hour will just be me and my thoughts. Looking over at Plagg he seems distracted by something. He notices me looking and flies off.

"Plagg! Wait! What if you're seen?" I cry, following him frantically before someone spots him.

Luckily he doesn't get very far, and stops on the other side of the street, near the park at Marinette's house. I miss her, so so much. I wonder how her parents are... they must know now.

"Plagg what on earth was that about?" I grumble, reaching where he is hovering. He doesn't reply, simply staring into the distance.

"Plagg?" I ask again.

"Sugarcube?" He mutters, his voice breaking slightly with sadness.

I look in the direction he's been watching and spot a flash of red behind one of the benches. Marinette's kwami? 

I jump the fence of the park and both of us make our way over to the bench she's cowering behind.

"Tikki?" I ask politely, keeping my voice low so she doesn't get frightened. She turns at my voice and her eyes light up when she spots Plagg and I.

"Plagg!" she cries, flying up to where he's floating and embracing him tightly. I let them speak for a minute before interrupting.

"Is Marinette okay?" I whisper nervously, and Tikki turns to look at me sadly.

"I left before she woke up, I couldn't risk them getting the earrings." she says, and Plagg rubs her shoulder sympathetically.

"Do you have any idea where she is?" I ask hopefully, looking at the ground and preparing for the worst.

Tikki doesn't reply, instead flying over and pushing my chin up to look at her.

"I know where they're currently keeping her, yes." she smiles and Plagg smiles behind her.

"So we can go now?" I gasp, looking at Plagg for confirmation. He nods so I quickly transform and Tikki flies off into the distance, knowing I'll follow her.

My cat phone rings and I pick up, noticing it's from Lucy.

"Hey I assumed you'd still be patrolling so I called this number. Just to let you know, Lila never showed up to the dinner, please be safe, she's still with Marinette I'm assuming." The phone says from voicemail.

Tikki notices I've stopped and flies back, hearing the last few seconds of the recording. She looks concerned but doesn't say anything.

"Tikki, do you know something?" I ask hesitantly, running after her.

When I catch up with her, tears are streaming down her face as she tries to cry quietly.

"If Lila isn't busy that means she's been with Marinette the whole time. She was planning on moving Marinette to a safer location shortly, but I assumed that was a couple days away. If she's not where I left her, I have no idea where she'll be. Marinette will be gone, Chloe betrayed you and her, and half of Marinette's friends don't even know she exists anymore because of that stupid memory potion Lila gave them." she sobs, spilling out all her thoughts quickly before continuing to cry.

"Hey hey Tikki, it's okay, we'll work it out. Do you want me to de-transform so you can talk to Plagg?" I ask gently. She shakes her head sadly.

"We need to get to Marinette as soon as possible." she explains, quickly flying away.

A few minutes later we reach a normal looking street. I think I checked this street earlier today and nothing seems to have changed. But Tikki flies directly to a certain door and stops, waiting for me.

There's no doubt in her mind, that's where Marinette is.

I just have to hope she's still there.