Chapter 40

Marinette's POV:

Lucy comes hurtling around a corner and crashes straight into me. Immediately she clamps my mouth shut with a palm to stop me making a noise. I look at her inquiringly and she makes a gesture that we should leave. Listening more carefully I can hear Adrien's voice calling her name, and his footsteps making our way towards us.

Lucy starts to leave and I follow quietly after her until we reach the art room which was  fortunately empty. She pulls me inside and lets out a sigh of relief.

"What was that about?" I ask curiously.

She shuffles around awkwardly for a second before explaining. "I may have called Lila a liar to his face and now he's trying to find out why." 

"But Lucy..." I start worriedly.

"I know I know" she interrupts me quickly. "We don't want him to put any pressure on himself to remember in case it makes things worse. I couldn't help it Marinette, you of all people should understand the emotions I have towards her." 

I smile in sympathy. "It's okay, I'm sure he won't spend too long trying to work it out. Besides, you're new as far as he knows." I reason and she nods in agreement.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tikki's POV:

I don't think Marinette noticed me leave, but I need to find Plagg and Adrien. I can sense that Wayzz is calling us, and I know Plagg won't have noticed. Flying back to where Marinette and Lucy left, I spot the blonde talking to Plagg, looking sad and confused.

"Plagg, we have to go." I say, flying up to them.

Adrien looks up at me in shock. "Tikki? Why do you both need to go? Where's Ladybug?"

I smile at the panic in his voice. I know he really cares about my Ladybug, and vice versa. Those two are the most compatible duo I've ever known. 

"Everything is fine, Wayzz needs us to go and see Master Fu. We'll be back soon I promise."

"Do I have to go?" Plagg whines from beside Adrien and I roll my eyes in irritation.

"Yes, Plagg, you do. Now hurry up." 

I wave goodbye to Adrien and Plagg follows after me with a lump of cheese.

"Did you really have to bring that?" I say, turning my face away from the smell.

He chuckles quietly. "Yep, sorry Sugarcube, you know how I feel about my lovely cheese."

"Whatever Plagg let's just go."

"Wait wait, Tikki that's the wrong direction to Master Fu." Plagg calls after me.

"Well of course dummy. Master Fu isn't the guardian, Wayzz is calling from my owners house. I just couldn't let Adrien know that." I explain.

We fly into Marinette's bedroom and spot Wayzz pacing around the room in panic.

"Wayzz, what's wrong?" I ask, joining him on the desk.

"We found the reverse to the memory potion." he replies, gesturing towards Mullo and Sass who are leaning over the Grimoire.

"No way." Plagg murmurs from beside me.

"So what's the problem then, that's great news?" I ask excitedly.

"Only the person who administered the potion can reverse the effects." he says sadly. My heart drops, knowing that Lila would never agree to reverse the potions and ruin her plan.

"Surely that's not right, let me see." Plagg says, barging forward.

He floats next to Mullo for a second reading the grimoire before saying it outloud.

"Only one who gives can remove, blood flows through, reverse the curse." he summarises, reading out chunks of the passage.

"Woah go back to the blood bit." I say thoughfully.

"The gift of fate flows in the blood of the giver, flowing through them like water. However, this water can be redirected." he says, looking at me in confusion.

There's something about that passage that is telling me it's the answer. Water, or blood, can be redirected. Like a bloodline? So the gift of choosing someone's fate lies in Lila's bloodline.

"Lucy!" I say suddenly, causing the other kwamis to jump.

"What about her?" Wayzz asks.

"Water can be redirected. That means that anyone in Lila's bloodline can reverse the effects. And Lucy is Lila's cousin." I explain, watching the smile return to Plagg's face.

"I'll tell Marinette to bring Lucy over tonight so they can plan it out." I say, moving to the end of the desk with Plagg.

"Okay, see you then, nice to see you again Plagg." Wayzz says as we leave back towards the school.

Plagg flies immediately back to Adrien who seems relieved to have him back. I make my way back to the art room, where Lucy is still sat with Marinette.

"Marinette, Marinette!" I call, and the girls turn in surprise.

"Tikki, where have you been?" Marinette asks in confusion, a look of hurt crossing her features.

"Wayzz found a reverse potion." I say happily, watching a smile cross the girls faces.

"That's amazing, what does it involve?" Lucy asks curiously.

"You have to give it to Adrien and everyone else Lucy, because you're in Lila's bloodline. It won't work with anyone else." I explain and she nods confidently.

"Do you want to come over after school so we can work out a plan?" Marinette turns to Lucy who agrees before hugging Marinette tightly with a laugh.

"We're getting your man back!" she cheers, her voice muffled by Marinette's shoulder.

Marinette blushes frantically before smiling.

"I miss him." she says with a touch of sadness in her voice.

"Miss who?" A voice says from the doorway. I freeze midair, knowing that I've probably been spotted.

I turn slowly, and come to face to face with the boy I just saw.

Adrien Agreste and Plagg were standing there, watching the scene with confusion.

Plagg at least looks guilty.

"I tried to stop him Tikki I promise." Plagg says, flying towards me. I don't say anything, just smile at him sadly.

"It's ok, it had to happen at some point."

"M'lady?" Adrien asks, snapping my attention back to the humans in the room.

"Adrien, I can explain." Marinette says slowly, taking a step towards him.

"You don't have to say anything. I can't believe it's you, no wonder I recognised your civilian form, a mask couldn't hide the girl I love from me." he says with a smile.

I glance over at Lucy who is standing to the side with her hands covering her mouth gleefully. I think she's hoping for some romantic declaration, but she doesn't know that happened before they were taken from each other.

"Adrien, you can't love me, you're dating Lila." Marinette finally responds, looking awkwardly around at anything except his eyes, and instead choosing to focus on his arm.

"Not for long." he says with a grin, pulling Marinette towards him.

"What do you..." she starts to say before being cut off by Adrien's kiss.