Chapter 21

marinette's pov:

Sunday passed uneventfully, despite a brief visit from Chat Noir pleading with me to only leave the house for necessary reasons until Lila had been stopped. Of course I said no, I couldn't lie to him, and I couldn't explain that one of those reasons would be stopping Lila alongside him as my alter-ego. Today was Monday, and it was one of those Mondays where you just knew something bad would happen. It's not like it was raining, I rather enjoy the rain actually, the weather was surprisingly nice. It just had the negative energy that attracted an akuma. I guess my ladybug instincts are prone to sensing any negative energy. That would explain the cheery nature of my parents as I leave the bakery. They're always happy though, so it doesn't really count I suppose.

Opening the front door to the bakery it smacks straight into the face of someone I know rather well. A certain boy whose face is known across Paris and is renowned for being perfect. Yet within 30 minutes of being awake, I manage to hit Adrien Agreste in the face with a rather heavy door. Through the glass his hand darts to his nose, rubbing it whilst squinting through his left eye.

When he sees me his features soften and he chuckles.

"Morning Marinette." He smiles, allowing himself through the door which i have since stepped away from. I'm not risking any more damage to his facial features.

"H-hey Adrien. What are you doing here?" I ask, trying to get a look at his nose. I hope it's not bent out of shape. Oh my goodness, what if his nose is wonky and he loses his modelling career and Gabriel Agreste hates me forever and I never get the opportunity to be a fashion designer and Adrien never forgives me.

He moves his hand slightly away from his face, and I see that his nose is slightly bruised but not injured in any way serious enough to limit his modelling. I breathe a sigh of relief before he replies to my question.

"Well, I came to see my favourite person of course." he smiles widely and a blush rises to my cheeks immediately.

"O-oh w-who would t-that be?" I squeak, holding my hands tightly behind my back to prevent me from doing anything too embarrassing.

"Mr Dupain of course!" he grins, waving to my dad who is speaking to a customer and raises a hand in response. Maman comes towards us with a tray of croissants and hands one to each of us. Adrien's eyes gleam in delight and he thanks her joyfully before taking a bite and wrapping his spare arm around my shoulders.

"You." he whispers in my ear through a mouthful of pastry.

"Adrien Agreste, don't speak with your mouth full." I quip, pulling away from the embrace, trying to cool the blush that is turning redder by the second.

He chuckles and swallows before opening the bakery door for me and waving goodbye to my parents. We chat amicably about school and homework as we approach the school steps. I notice Chloe standing awkwardly by the door; the rest of our class surrounding Lila nearby. Chloe spots us and waves us over, a look of relief passing over her face.

"Smart move Agreste." she comments upon arrival, earning a smug look from Adrien.

"What?" I ask them, wondering what they're both talking about.

"Well Chloe and I agreed we couldn't leave you on your own at any time when you're out of the house in case Lila takes advantage of that." Adrien explains, finishing the last of his croissant. 

"And I said I'd meet you at the doors of the school as your house is visible from the steps. But Adrien here decided to take matters into his own hands and personally escort you to school." Chloe concludes with a frown at Adrien who isn't paying attention and is instead licking his finger of the crumbs.

He looks up when he realises no one is speaking and realises we're both watching him. 

"Ha sorry." he laughs awkwardly, rubbing his neck in embarrassment.

"Well thanks guys, but I think I'll be okay getting to school." I smile at them both before Adrien shakes his head frantically.

"Nope. You're not getting out of this one Marinette." he says stubbornly crossing his arms.

"Adrien's right Mari," Chloe murmurs, resting her hand on my arm "It's for your own safety." 

I sigh and nod in defeat. Adrien smiles in satisfaction, before looking past us, grabbing mine and Chloe's arms and pulling us into the school. I shot him a confused look and he mutters "Lila was watching." before glancing back at the brunette in dislike.

My lessons continued to be like this, one of them always beside me at all times. Chloe switched with Alya, because Sabrina didn't want to sit with the 'new' kid. That was fine with me, but still felt minorly ironic considering our arguments for the seats over the last few years. Adrien sat right in front, still next to Nino, but their relationship seemed more forced, as if Adrien was forcing himself to engage with his friend. The second the bell rang for fourth period, Adrien darted out of his seat and up the step to us. We checked our timetables and Adrien and Chloe had PE whilst I had a study period.

Both blondes looked minorly uncomfortable with leaving me alone, but agreed there would be teachers around that still recognised me. They both waved goodbye before heading to the gymnasium. I walked in the opposite direction, towards the library, hoping to get some chemistry work finished.

Miss Mendeleiv sets killer amounts of homework, and they're always so difficult so I was completely absorbed in the calculations when the bell rang to signal the final lesson of the day. Sighing, I glanced at the page and the three questions I had finished. I packed away slowly, still thinking through the fourth equation and the question that came with it. 

Placing my backpack on my shoulders, I looked around and saw the library had become empty. I checked around to make sure I hadn't left anything, before I heard a cough behind me. Spinning around on my heels I come face to face with the last person I wanted to see.

"Lila." I say, dislike evident in my tone.

"Hey Marinette! Long time no see. I almost didn't recognise you haha." she giggles annoyingly at her own stupid joke. 

"Bye Lila." I say, making my way to the exit.

"I wouldn't do that." she comments, and I turn to face her in frustration.

"Why?" I ask, already knowing she won't give me a reason.

"I just wouldn't that's all." she giggles again, giving me a look like she knows something I don't.

"Or what?" A voice behind me says, sounding rather out of breath but angry. I turn to look at the occupant of the voice but he's hidden by the shadows of the bookcase. Stepping out of the darkness my eyes meet with someone I know I can trust.

 Chat Noir.

 And he does not look happy to see Lila.