Chapter 18

chloe's pov:

I watched as his eyes widen in fear. 

"W-w-what no. Of course i'm not him haha! As if i could sneak out of my bedroom each night Chloe, c'mon don't be ridiculous." he laughs forcefully, trying to look at anything but me.

The akuma alert on his phone beeps to update the app and he immediately focuses all his attention on it. Peering over his shoulder, i see the loud noises were just construction work over near the Eiffel tower. He sighs loudly in relief, and I glance over my shoulder to spot a flash of red darting into the next room.

I love how they both thought they could keep a secret from me. I'm not stupid, that's why Lila's out to get me - because I saw through her lies. I also saw through those lies last year with Marinette, but I wasn't willing to risk my reputation to defend someone who didn't even like me. But then the ladybug thing happened. Well I guess the Marinette thing happened haha they're the same person. After a few weeks of angry voicemails to Sabrina, and making Jean-Pierre run miles around the hotel, I realised it was my fault. I was selfish, and stupid. My own greed was my downfall, and so I decided I needed to change, starting with Marinette. I guess you could just say it was good luck that she turned out to be Ladybug as well. Two birds with one stone I suppose.

Now that I know the truth about her identity, it's obvious, but from an outside perspective they act like completely different people.  I guess the love and compassion is there in both of them though. Adrien however, is so much more obvious. It sort of makes me laugh how he thinks a stupid excuse will make me believe him and Chat Noir are separate people. I wonder how long it will take for them two to work it out. 

Unfortunately, i fear Marinette is too blinded by her love towards Adrien to even see the similarities with Chat Noir.

Turning my attention to Adricat, I chuckle and he looks up from his phone reluctantly.

"You don't need to lie Adrien, I know you're him, and I'll keep it a secret. I mean i'm your oldest friend aren't I." i smile, winking at him in a friendly manner. I would never even consider romantically advancing to him nowadays, especially knowing Marinette is Ladybug and he loves her too.

He smiles back after a second and I can see a mask fall off his face. He stands before hugging me.

"Thanks Chloe, I guess I owe you one." he murmurs into my hair.

The door opens slightly and a blue-pigtailed girl pokes her head through the door.

"Um hey guys, what are you up to?" she asks curiously, watching the exchange.

Adrien stands up straight and steps away from me quickly. 

"Nothing Marinette, don't even worry about it." he says nervously, glancing at me in fear.

I watch as Marinette narrows her eyes suspiciously at me and Adrien. I wink and roll my eyes at Adrien and she visibly relaxes before smiling and stepping further into the room.

"We should probably head to this party." She groans, glancing at the clock on the side of the room. We have a few minutes to spare but knowing Marinette, we'll probably still end up being late.

I laugh and direct Marinette back into the other room, shutting the door on Adrien with a wink.

"What was that about?" Marinette asks curiously when it's just us.

"Just Adrien being an idiot." I reply, focused on zipping up her dress. She looks beautiful in it, she said she added some bits to it herself. It's blue with a sweetheart neckline and a few satin butterflies trailing from her waist to the floor.

Once she's safely zipped up, she turns to me with a smile before zipping my dress up too. After years of being known for my fashion sense, i've decided to take a step down from my designer brands. This dress is a warm orange colour, with layers of tulle flowing around my knees. Marinette had asked to see my dress last night, and has brought along some sequins and thread to make some additions. Whilst she gets to work, I text Adrien letting him know he can come in when he's ready.

A few moments later he knocks and enters the room, blushing slightly at Marinette. She doesn't even notice, so focussed on her designing. A couple of minutes later she stands up and helps me to a mirror. I gasp, it's beautiful. The sequins catch the light as I move, reminding me of a sunset over the water. I turn to her with joy and see her admiring her creation in the mirror. Grabbing her by the shoulders i pull her into a hug for a few seconds before pulling away squealing.

"It's beautiful Marinette, thank you!" I gush, still admiring the dress.

"Don't mention it." she says flippantly, wafting her hand in the air.

The previously silent Adrien coughs awkwardly and says "We should probably get going." before once again turning bright red at the sight of Marinette.

I smile and nod in response, before making my way to the door with them both just behind me.

A few minutes later, we're all piled into the back of my daddy's car, giggling like idiots at the amount of fabric shoved into our faces. Stepping back out into the sunshine, I raise my hand to shade my eyes and gaze up at the party location. My jaw physically drops, and Marinette has the same reaction when she finally manages to get out of the car. It's a literal castle, who did she have to murder to get this?! Actually I don't want to know.

Clutching Marinette's hand, we make our way inside, Adrien right behind us, nervous of what's going to be inside.

As we near the doors, they swing wide open on their hinges, and we're met with Lila, smiling in a rather menacing way.

"Welcome all of you! I'm so glad you all made it." She grins with her toothy smile, looking at Marinette with malice as she finishes her sentence.

She steps back from the door, allowing us to reluctantly make our way in, and the doors shut swiftly behind.

"Where's everyone else?" Marinette asks in confusion once our eyes adjust to the dimmed lighting of the foyer.

"Oh they're in the next room to the left." Lila calls in a singsong voice. We turn to make our way there before she continues.

"Marinette I was wondering if we could have a quick talk alone before?"

I spin on my heels in anger towards the brunette and I see Adrien has an equally protective expression.

"No." Marinette replies simply, before grabbing both our hands and making our way into the room with everyone else.

We're almost out of earshot when she murmurs "I had a feeling you might say that Marinette."

Marinette tenses beside me, but keeps moving swiftly, and Adrien gives me a fearful look. Looking down at their linked hands, I notice he's holding Marinette's hand so firmly she's probably losing circulation. Here I was thinking Marinette had taken both of our hands, but from the redness of Marinettes fingers i'd assume he probably reached out for her hand the second we got inside. I smile slightly before remembering exactly where I am and picking up the pace.

The doors to the left wing open and we see our friends - well my ex friends i suppose - all standing there chatting. They turn to us and Alya runs to embrace Marinette and her and Adrien both visibly relax. Not me though, I'm still on edge. And rightly so, as Lila enters the room quietly with a small smirk.