Chapter 31

Lucy's POV:

"Maybe he's super busy?" Sapph suggests, watching me as I refresh my phone for the thousandth time. I'm worried about Adrien. He went looking for Marinette by himself over 2 hours ago, and he said he'd let me know how it went.

"Maybe, but I thought he'd consider this a priority." I reply sadly, sighing before placing the phone down.

Lila never came back to dinner, which terrifies me even more. I know she has it in for Marinette and with Adrien also off the grid, I can only assume the worst.

"Hey, cheer up!" my kwami says, flying in front of my face when she sees my expression. "We could always go and check on him?"

My mood perks up immediately at this point, glancing at the time before adding.

"Chloe should be back by now too."

Sapph nods and I dial Chloe's number. Instead of going to voicemail, it immediately hangs up. Like she was waiting for the call, or blocked me. I try to shrug it off, maybe she's busy too.

"We might stay less seen if we're on the ground." I remark, clicking on Elizabeth's number and watching my Kwami's reaction. She agrees and flies over to the window.

Elizabeth picks up after a few dials and sounds rather awkward. Almost as if trying to remain out of the situation with Flora and I, which I could hardly blame her for.

"Hello?" 

"Hey um, do you fancy an evening walk?" I ask nervously.

"Any reason?" is her blunt response.

"Er, I'll explain in person."

"I'm kind of busy."

"No you're not." I quip, knowing she's probably sat at home alone. 

She stays quiet for a second before replying "............. okay maybe I'm not. I'll meet you in 10 minutes."

She hangs up and I grab my coat and make my way towards the park. The warm glow of Marinette's bakery catches my eye.

"Ok I'm here." says the voice behind me which i recognise to be a rather cold Elizabeth.

"Thank you, do you mind if we just check in on the Dupain-Chengs?" I ask, and her facial features soften at the thought of the kind family. They must be going through so much right now, with their only child missing.

Elizabeth nods and we make our way into the bakery. Despite the sadness, the couple were still serving a few late night customers with a smile. Sabine noticed us and came over.

"We're so sorry about Marinette." Elizabeth says, clasping Sabine's hands together within her own. Sabine smiles back sadly before wiping away a tear and walking back over to where her husband stood.

"What can we get you girls?" She asks kindly, grabbing a pair of tongs and gesturing towards the pastries still left on the stands.

"Oh, we're okay thanks. We just wanted to go and check Marinette's room to see if she left anything about her location. If that's okay with you?" I lied, knowing exactly where Marinette went.

Sabine nods and steps aside for us to walk up the stairs to their house. When I meet Elizabeth's eyes she's watching me with confusion.

"What was that? Why are we snooping through her room when we know where she went?" she asks angrily, stopping at the top of the stairs and glaring at me angrily.

"We're not actually looking for clues, more like looking for someone." I explain, pushing open Marinette's trapdoor and helping Elizabeth up the stairs.