Chapter 30

Adrien's POV:

I pushed open the door and was met with the pitch black hallway of a rundown house. Turning on the torch setting of my baton I made my way through the house, checking each room thoroughly. I thought I'd checked everywhere and was getting frustrated when I noticed a cupboard under the stairs.

Tikki had gone to check the upstairs area so I was alone. I unlatched the door and spotted a staircase down into a basement. Somehow it was even darker down there.

"Hello?" I ask, going down the steps carefully to avoid falling. There is no reply but I keep going, and the stairs widen into a large room.

"Chat Noir, wonderful of you to join us. Marinette here was getting lonely." A voice says, dripping with sarcasm as they stand just behind me.

They must have followed me here silently. I spin to face them but can't see anything in the darkness.

On the other side of the room I hear someone's muffled cries before something rips and Marinette's screams pierce my ears.

"Chat Noir get out of here." she cries, desperation evident in her voice.

I make my way to her voice, momentarily forgetting about anything except her.

Before I can reach out to her the door at the top of the stairs slams shut and the noise of a smoke machine fills the room. I can feel myself getting dizzy but fight towards Marinette who has once again gone quiet. Where is Tikki?!

If I pass out they'll capture me, and also know my identity. I can't get stuck here, but I've come so close to saving Marinette that I can't leave her.

I reach her side and her blue eyes pierce through the darkness as she stares into my eyes.

"You're such an idiot kitty." She says, stroking my hair sadly.

"We can get you out of here." I reply confidently, trying to pick her up but stay low to the floor to prevent inhaling too much smoke. She stops me, placing her hands gently on her chest.

"You need to get out of here Chat, she could find out your identity." she explains, as logical as usual. How did it take me so long to realise she was Ladybug, it's just so obvious now.

"How will I find you again?" I ask, a tear rolling down my cheek. Even in the darkness of the room she spots the tear and catches it gently on her finger.

"Chat Noir, I need to tell you something." she murmurs quietly, eyes locked on my teary ones.

I nod for her to continue.

"I'm Ladybug." 

I hesitate before realising that Adrien knew, not Chat Noir. I try to fake surprise.

"Why are you telling me this bugaboo?" I ask carefully.

She seems surprised at my lack of shock but seems to brush it off. 

"Tikki can follow me, and know where they take me." she explains, tears finally forming in her eyes.

"Princess, please let me try and save you now?" I plead, taking her hands in mine.

She shakes her head sadly and pushes me away gently.

"Go." is her only response before I turn my back and run back up the staircase.

The door isn't even locked, so I leave it open to try and clear some of the smoke in the basement.

I can hear her coughs from down there and it takes everything in me to follow her orders and leave her there. Leaving that house broke my heart into smithereens, and to make matters worse, I had no idea where Tikki had gone. She was essential to the plan, and if I couldn't explain it in time, it would be ineffective.

I run into an alleyway and detransform.

"Find Tikki and meet me back here." I say to Plagg before he nods and flies back towards the house.

I hesitate for a few moments before following my instincts, ignoring Marinette's orders, and running after him. Besides, she told Chat Noir to leave, not Adrien.

Without my baton torch the house is impossible to navigate except by using the walls. Luckily I remember the plan of the house so feel my way towards the still open door of the basement.

Stumbling slightly, I hurry down the stairs until I reach the bottom. The smoke machine had since been turned off, used as a simple distraction to prevent me saving her. No one seemed to be here except Marinette, who was crying quietly in the corner. I could hear voices above me in the house, and they seemed to be arguing so I assumed I'd have time.

Making my way back to the corner that Marinette was situated in, I knelt down beside her. She hadn't noticed anyone else in the room, so absorbed in crying that she'd blocked out all other noise.

"Marinette?" I ask, reaching out to touch her shoulder.

She jolts up, panic in her eyes before she relaxes upon realisation that it's me.

"I thought you were Chat Noir for a second." she says, with an awkward chuckle. I could hear a hint of sadness in her voice that he hadn't come back for her, but in a way I had.

"We need to get you out of here." I say simply, trying to help her stand up.

She gestures towards the ankle chain and I bend down to see if I can break it. A cataclysm would be nice right about now.

As if Plagg and I are telepathic, the quiet utterance of "cataclysm." is said before a small green eyed kwami winks at me and leaves again.

He seems to have found Tikki. Now they both need to leave, and I need to get Marinette out.

Marinette seems not to hear the kwami and instead looks at me in shock when she realises the chain is broken. She hugs me tightly as I stand, before grabbing my hand and pulling me over to the stairs.

We take the stairs two at a time before coming to a stop at the top. The door seems to have shut again, but considering it wasn't locked the first time, I push it gently expecting it to open.

When it doesn't budge, I push it harder before looking at Marinette with panic. She seems to understand the problem, pushing on the door herself and realising it's locked.

Now we're both stuck and Lila definitely knows we're down here.

At least both of the kwamis are safe, and there's no way she could work out our identities. Besides it won't be long until Nathalie will put out a missing persons form and not even Lila would dare upsetting my father.

Marinette sits down on the step with her head in her hands and I join her.

She looks at me sadly before sighing.

"It's okay." I say gently.

"No it's not. I was so selfish. I let you put my safety before your own and now we're both stuck here together." she replies, not meeting my eyes.

"At least you got Chat Noir out?" I try to console her before realising she hadn't told me that.

"How did you know that?" She asks, looking at me with widened but confused eyes.

"I-"

"Ah Adrien, so kind of you to join us." Lila's voice fills the room, distracting Marinette from my mistake.

"Lila. Let him go." she says angrily, standing up.

"Why would I do that Marinette, when I know he's the best chance of getting you to do what I want? I mean you said it yourself, you'd do anything for the person you love." her mocking response replies.

Love? 

I look at Marinette with wide eyes and see she's watching me nervously.

"Love?" I say again, this time outloud.

She swallows loudly, avoiding my eyes.

"Marinette, is she telling the truth?" I ask, reaching for her hand.

Her eyes lock on mine and I smile gently.

"I- yes." She says quietly, the blush radiating from her cheeks evident even in the darkness.

I squeeze her hand supportively before simply saying.

"I love you too."