Chapter 5

marinettes pov:

We've been up here for around 20 minutes. I can tell tikki is freezing despite how she has adamantly told me she's fine. I know she's just lying because she doesn't want to leave me out here. I suppose it's best if we go inside, I don't know how much longer she'll be fine. Picking her up from the railing she's sat on, I turn away and walk back to the trapdoor.

Suddenly tikki gasps and darts with newfound energy into my bag. Realising that she had a clear view over my shoulder I turn slowly on my heels, unsure what she has seen.

And then I see it. This black... figure... jumping towards me.

"What is that?" i say nervously. On one hand it could be that cat but then again it could be lila or another poor victim of hawkmoths.

"Go inside Marinette, it could be lila!" tikki whisper shouts at me from my bag. But I can't move. I'm frozen to the ground. So when the figure becomes distinguishable as Chat Noir i breathe a sigh of relief. If that had been Lila, Ladybug couldn't have helped. I know tikki is going to question me later about being unable to move. 

But breaking me out of my thoughts, Chat jumps onto my balcony, missing the railing and falling into the deckchair. I can't help but laugh at his face. He looks so annoyed that he missed his landing. What a diva. Imagine being annoyed when you're occasionally clumsy. Ha I cant relate, im always clumsy.

And with that he smiles at me, causing me to blush slightly and smile back.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adriens pov:

As I got into my car yesterday,  I glanced quickly at Marinette. She looked really disappointed. I hope it wasn't because of me. Just as we pull away, Alya tries to comfort her but I can tell she's still not okay.

Wait, how do I know how she's feeling so easily. She's never told me very much about her feelings. I guess it's because of my time with ladybug. She's also an extremely private person. After months of failed attempts I'm finally getting through to her. She still won't tell me directly but I can tell. Almost like a sixth sense. I brought it up with Plagg a while ago and he said it was something to do with the connection between the earrings and the ring. I think he said 'yin and yang' but it was rather hard to understand through a mouthful of cheese.

When we get home, Nathalie informs me my father is busy. Can't say i'm surprised. I walk up to my room and shut the door, allowing Plagg to leave my pocket and stretch his legs.

"Movie and camembert tonight?" he asks hopefully once i've settled down at my desk.

"No Plagg, although thats almost every night for you." I chuckle at his disgusted face "We're going to see Marinette." I smile at the name, before bringing my attention back to Plagg.

"Oh okay, that means I can see Ti... I mean Marinette." he says nervously, flying away quickly once he realises his mistake.

"You know Plagg, that's the second time you've stumbled on her name today... is everything okay?" i ask curiously. He never stumbles on anyone else's name, so two times in one day can't just be coincidence can it?

"Yeah I'm all good. It's just.. um... lack of sleep. Yeah. I was up talking to tikki last night. Guess her name is engrained on my brain hah!" he rambles, avoiding eye contact.

"What were you talking to Tikki about then? Is ladybug okay?" i ask curiously, interested in his answer.

"Oh er... she... felt a bad aura around Ladybugs house.... yep.... but she's all good.... it was just umm.... a bad smell.... from the sewers..." he decides, proud of his lie.

I laugh before accepting the lie and moving on. "Ok Plagg, thanks for sacrificing your sleep for Ladybug" i chuckle.

"Anyway, we should probably head over to Marinette's after dinner so you can watch a movie until then but please keep it down. I really don't understand Quadratics" I groan, turning to face my maths book.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marinettes pov:

"well hello there! My friend Adrien asked me to come check up on you." he says kindly, his eyes full of warmth and concern.

"Yeah he said he would. It's super thoughtful of him but I think I'm okay for now." i say slowly, trying to gauge if he takes offense. Luckily he doesn't and just seems interested.

"Why only for now? If you think you can look after yourself then why only for a little bit?" he asks, confused but still smiling.

"Well you see, Lila. She's the girl Adrien is worried about hurting me. Well she's very very careful and deliberate about what she does. I think she'll need a few days to plan exactly what shes going to do before she tries to get to me." i say thoughtfully, looking at the ground in concentration until i finish and look him dead in the eye.

"Wow.. thats really perceptive of you. But i think i'll keep checking up on you anyway." he chuckles and winks at me.

"Oh I wasn't trying to make you leave!! In fact it was quite the opposite. I'd be happy to have your company, it was just for peace of mind. I mean unless you want to leave. I won't be offended i mean you're a superhero you must be super busy yeah. I wouldn't want to keep you from doing your superhero things I'm so-" i ramble on awkwardly feeling a blush rise to me cheeks once again. Yet I dont feel able to stop until he places his hand on my shoulder.

"I'd love to stay a bit Marinette." he says and looks at me sadly. "If i'm being honest, you and ladybug are some of the only people that make me feel welcome. My home isn't exactly what you would class as friendly." he mumbles, his voice breaking a little bit.

"Well you're always welcome here kitty cat. Even when you don't need to check on me you can come as a friend." I say warmly and he looks at me gratefully. 

"Thanks Marinette, I don't know how I could ever thank you enough." he says whilst engulfing me in a hug.

"Well you don't need to but I actually have a favour to ask tonight" I mumble, still caught up in his hug.

"Oh?" he says curiously, pulling away to look me in the eye.