Chapter 6

marinettes pov:

"I...uh yeah. I just need some advice." i awkwardly say, surprised how my confidence just disappeared.

Noticing my discomfort, Chat smiles and jokes "well you know what they say. Cats are the wisest animal, and you're friends with the wisest one."

I roll my eyes and just by that comment my confidence starts to improve. "I thought that was owls?" i quip sarcastically with what i hope is a lot of sass.

"Minor technicality" he laughs but then becomes serious. "So whats up?" I can tell he really cares and theres no backing out of it so i take a deep breath and try to calmly say it.

"Well, theres this boy, and i really like him but I don't know if he feels the same and i wanna ask but I dont wanna mess it up and say something dumb and ruin our friendship. Because he's really important  to me and even if he doesn't like me back, his friendship means everything to me. I've tried to pretend i dont like him but i can't so i think i just need to tell him." I say, sounding much calmer than i feel. 

Once i'm finished blurting all my feelings to him i look up to notice him smiling down at me.

"You really love him don't you?" he gently asks.  I nod hesitantly, relieved that someone other than alya and tikki knows the whole truth.

"Well then he's a lucky guy" he says, whilst walking to the chair and reclining back into it. "You just need to practice what you wanna say... which is where i come in I suppose?"

I search his face for any traces of sarcasm or dishonesty before accepting his answer as genuine and returning his smile.

"Just pretend i'm him" he says, sitting up in the chair and nodding for me to continue.

I take a deep breath before bursting into laughter. "Sorry sorry" i giggle, his confused face making it even funnier. "it's just so funny. You and him are so different I could never pretend you were him!"

Still giggling, I try to calm myself down, whilst Chat snaps out of his confusion and jokes "I guarantee I have better style."

"sure kitty cat" i say, chuckling at the fact that Adrien definitely has better style. I mean he's a model duh.

"Okay so go" he gestures for me to start.

"Why do you seem so excited for this?" i ask cheekily expecting a laugh or a moan to start. So when his eyes turn down to the floor in sadness i'm shocked. "Hey whats up?". I've never seen Chat look this so sad I hope he's okay.

"Sorry I'm not sad its just... You and Ladybug act so similar. So kinda when i'm hearing you talk I pretend its her. And with this love declaration, it's like she's saying it to me. I know she never would but sometimes it's just nice to imagine you know?" he looks up at me hopefully, praying that i understand.

My heart breaks for him. I never meant to put him through this much pain. I quickly shake it off my mind, knowing eventually it would hurt him if i accepted his love as my heart belonged to Adrien. But even so, I wanted to help him, as Marinette.

"I uh know how you feel. When he was dating this other girl who looked a little bit like me i sometimes imagined it was me. I'm so sorry though." I say hesitantly, being careful not to give too much information away about kagami and adriens' relationship.

"It's not your fault Marinette. It isn't Ladybugs either." He sniffs and straightens in the chair "Sorry for complaining about my love life... i'm sure it isnt exactly motivational for your declaration." he chuckles sadly.

Getting down on my knees until we're eye level i say "hey Chat, you're welcome to be open with your feelings whenever you feel like it okay?" and with that I wrap my arms around his hunched frame. Initially he tenses, unsure about the contact, but then relaxes into it and wraps his arms around me too. I'm glad i can be his friend as Marinette so he feels that he can be honest with his emotions.

After a while, he wipes a single tear away and disentangles himself from me. "We still need to hear this declaration of love, miss marinette."

I get to my feet, feeling cold after the warmth of that hug. "Okay here it goes.."

"Hey, I just need to tell you this and it's okay if you don't feel the same but I need you to know. I have loved you since we first met. I know we didn't have the best start but even then i knew. And in the rain you proved it. You mean everything to me and i just wanted to tell you that i dont think i could ever love another the way i love you. Seeing you in other relationships broke my heart and made me realise i had to tell you before it was too late. I have never met anyone like you and no one else has ever made me feel this kind of way. I love you."

"Thats just a rough idea" i say nervously, a blush still managing to rise on my cheeks despite the cold.

"It was beautiful Marinette" he smiles. "If you want my opinion you should just tell him that. It loses its effect if it doesn't come directly from your heart in the moment." he says whilst getting to his feet.

"But... that was written earlier?" i say, my confusion clear.

He doesn't turn around in surprise and instead says "yes but where were your notes?" before waiting a few seconds to add "you didn't need them because you really meant every word you just said."

Leaving me standing there in shock he says gently "goodnight marinette, i'll see you tomorrow." and launches himself into the night.

Tikki flies out of my bag and hugs my cheek. "He's right you know." she mumbles against me cheek.

I nod in disbelief, watching him disappear out of sight, before heading inside to ponder his words.