Chapter 12

marinettes pov:

Alya turns to me with wide eyes, curious what she's missed.

I shrug nochelantly and turn away, starting the brief walk to the bakery.

"What about the dress shopping?" she calls after me. I glance down at Tikki giving me a preachy look and sigh. Turning to face Alya, I give a somewhat convincing frown and say "I can't today, Papa needs me in the bakery."

She nods, knowing this is sometimes true, and therefore assuming I am actually busy.

"I'll see you around though?" I smile, trying to clarify i'm okay.

She winks and replies "Yeah, and tell me the scoop about you and agreste."

I roll my eyes, and leave.

------------ time skip ----------

Turns out Papa did actually need my help in the bakery. I'm relieved,  it takes my mind off Chat, and lying to Alya.

Walking up the stairs to the loft, I check my phone and see it's almost 6pm. I'd been in the bakery for a lot longer than intended.

Flopping onto my chaise, I scroll through my messages from Alya. She's been spamming me for hours about a new Ladybug theory. Scrolling back further, i notice a message from Adrien, sent at around 3pm.

Sitting up quickly, i stare at the letters until they start to form words.

'Hey Marinette. Chat told me that he can come a bit earlier today. He said around 7? Let me know if that's okay for you. If you don't have this number saved it's Adrien Agreste, from school.'

Tikki giggles from my shoulder, reading the message. I smile at her. What an idiot, how many Adrien Agrestes does he think there are. I'm not surprised he would say that though. He doesn't consider himself famous even though he is. He just wants to feel normal. I put the phone down onto the chaise before wandering over to my desk.

Checking the Ladybug alarm, i notice its already 6:30 so decide not to start my homework. Leaning back into my chair, i smell cupcakes, so i sneak into the kitchen to steal some. Papa sees me. He grins and passes me another one.

"Might as well take one for the superhero whilst you're here" he chuckles.

I almost choke. "W-What superhero?" I splutter. How do they know about Chat Noir? He only comes at night specifically to avoid the prying eyes of other people. The black suit tends to stand out in the day and when he's not fighting crime i happen to know he likes his peace and quiet.

"It's okay Marinette, we know." Maman says calmly, walking into the kitchen and placing a hand on papas arm. He smiles down at her before looking back at me. 

"A couple nights ago I was working late in the bakery. As I came up to the house I heard talking on the balcony. I was concerned who it was so i took a little peek. It seems you and Chat Noir are very close." he explains.

Maman gently hits his bicep before turning to face me. "What your father is trying to say is that, we trust you to make your own decisions Marinette. But we won't interfere like last time." she smiles.

"Maman, Papa, I appreciate the acceptance, but Chat Noir is just doing me a favour." I exclaim, blushing furiously.

"Ok Marinette, we believe you." they chuckle before giving each other a look and walking into the shop front.

Realising it must be almost 7 by now, I dart up the stairs, a cupcake in each hand. Entering my room out of breath, I hear a gentle landing on my balcony, followed by a tapping on the skylight.