Chapter 2

marinettes pov:

Alya and I walked into the classroom to see everyone waiting for us. Miss Bustier smiled at us before gesturing at the seats we had sat in for the past few years. Adrien and Nino were sat right in front and we exchanged grins between the four of us once we had all settled down.

I glanced to the back quickly and noticed Lila's seat was empty, my heart souring as I scan the rest of the room for the brunette. Once I'm certain she isn't here I recline back into my seat and sigh contentedly.

Just then, the door bashes open and in walks the demon herself. Lila Rossi was back for another year - great.

"Sorry I'm late miss, some fans of mine and Adriens' photo shoot wanted to take pictures and I couldn't say no!" she said, flicking her hair over her shoulder and smiling demurely at Miss Bustier. 

"That's Ok Lila, just find your seat next to Nathaneal and I'll start the lesson." Miss Bustier replied kindly. Lila took her seat, flashing Adrien a wide smile before giving me a death stare.

I rolled my eyes just as Adrien turned around with concern clear in his. His gaze focused on me and he mouthed "are you okay?". I nodded frantically and looked up again, trying to keep my cheeks an even colour.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

adriens pov:

I saw that glare Lila gave Marinette and I'm not okay with it. After a few seconds contemplating my actions , I turn around to check Marinette is okay. She seems flustered but not upset so I guess Lila had no effect on her. 

Turning back around I start on the algebra in front of me, struggling at every stage. I hear Marinette scribbling away so I turn back around to query some answers. She seems more confident now, focused on the task at hand, and easily explains my mistakes.

About halfway through the lesson I hear lila start to speak so i stop my conversation with Nino suddenly. He can tell I'm focused so doesn't question it, instead becoming quieter so he can also listen in.

"Miss, my tinnitus is starting again. Oh it hurts so much, please can I get some fresh air?" She whimpers, clutching her left ear and holding back fake tears.

"Of course Lila take as long as you need! Adrien would you mind going with her to make sure she's okay?" Miss Bustier adds as an afterthought.

Great. It had to be me she chose. I get up slowly, looking at the floor making my opinion of the task extremely obvious. I know Marinette doesn't trust Lila either so I look back at her to see if I can gauge her reaction and notice the misery in her expression. It surprises me - she's usually better at hiding her emotions than that. I can't leave her like this, she might get akumatized. I can't let my friend get akumatized when I could do something to help!

Turning to Miss Bustier with a hopefully sad expression I ask "Miss, I'm so sorry but I'm really struggling with the algebra, could someone else go with Lila?".

"Of Course Adrien." she replies, as I settle back into my seat knowing that marinette wouldn't get akumatized now.

"...Marinette, could you go with Lila? I know you don't struggle with Algebra as much as Adrien" she finishes. I jolt up in my seat. Marinette alone with Lila is even worse - I didn't think this through.

"umm okay" Marinette answers hesitantly, looking dead at me with despair in her eyes. She get up and leaves the room with Lila. I don't like the idea of Marinette and Lila left on their own so I glance down at Plagg and he knows exactly what to do so slips quietly out of the room to follow them. I sit there fiddling with my pen waiting for the girls and my kwami to return so I can find out what was said.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

marinettes pov:

Unbelievable. As if i'd get picked to take Lila out. I knew Adrien didnt intend for this to happen and probably would have done it himself if he'd known I'd replace him. I mentally groan as I walk out of the room right behind Lila. She looks frustrated - I assume she didn't plan on me coming with her. Suddenly, a flash of black darts behind her but before I get the chance to look Lila starts to speak with that annoying voice of hers. I glance at the fading safety of the classroom realising she waited until she was out of earshot to speak. I suspect this won't end with us being friends.

"Well well Marinette, looks like its just you and me again. Seems like you're following me at this point. How thoughtful of you to come outside with me instead of Adrien. At least that's what everyone else thinks. Personally I think you're a nosey self absorbed brat that seems to think Adrien loves her and can't make any more friends." She finishes looking me dead in the eye.

Half of her speech makes me want to collapse into hysterics but I keep my cool and reply calmly "Lila, you know as well as I do that Miss Bustier picked me and I had no say in the matter of replacing Adrien. I also think you're very aware that if given the choice I wouldn't be here so lets just get this over with so that we can go back to class."

As I start walking away she calls "Don't walk away from me Marinette Dupain-Cheng. I warned you of the consequences of not becoming my ally. So here we are. Your mistake not mine."

I come to a stop and snigger. "And what do you plan on doing this time Lila? Throwing me out of a window huh?". Turning fully around to see the girl I look her dead in the eye and say calmly "Your threats don't bother me Lila."

At that she smiles and walks forward until she's directly in front of me, our noses almost touching. Both of us refuse to be the first one to walk away but before it gets too intense she laughs. "That's where you're wrong Marinette. This isn't a threat. It's a plan. I will end you and no one will even remember your name. I will wipe you off the face of this planet and it will be as if you never existed. You see, to make my life better , you just cant be in it."

I gasp and spin to face her as she walks away "what makes you think that?" I call after her, my voice a notch higher than I would have preferred.

She turns in one movement on her heels and looks at me with sympathy "oh Marinette. We could have been friends. But you chose the hard option, so I guess now you have to deal with the consequences." she finishes bitterly, stalking off towards the front doors to get some of the air she apparently needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

plaggs pov:

This Lila girl seems fishier than some of my oldest cheeses. And you know when its better to bin a camembert rather than eat it. Even I have my boundaries and Lila surpasses them all.

I'm so glad Adrien and Ladybug haven't fallen for her lies. Marinette I mean. Can't call her ladybug around Adrien or Tikki would kill me. At least if she did there might be cheese chairs in heaven. Mmm maybe death doesn't sound so bad. Focus plagg focus.

Lad-Marinette almost saw me as I left the room today, I really do need to stop eating so much cheese. It is slowing me down quite a bit. I guess my metabolism just isn't as fast as it used to be.

Anyway, Lila.  I heard everything she said and I'm genuinely concerned for Marinette. If Lila gets akumatized then she'll easily be able to do exactly what she said. I need to talk to Tikki, but first I should probably update the anxious teen sitting back in his maths class. Just a friend, no way, that boy is hopelessly in love with both sides of Maribug and he just hasnt worked it out yet. If it was me I would have sniffed it out immediately. But everyone knows I have an impeccable sense of smell so no one would even be surprised.

Sneakily I fly back to the classroom into Adriens bag and make sure he knows I'm there. He seems confused what I'm doing back if the girls are still outside but then notices my face and instantly knows something bad was said.

He narrows his eyes and grips his pencil more firmly as if writing harder will make marinette come back quicker. I've never seen him like this before - he must be really worried. I try my hardest to reattract his attention and quietly let him know she's okay for now but his eyes stay trained on the door until Lila flounces back through the door with Marinette silently entering after her.