10 | LOCATION

Christmas Day, 1944Brooklyn, United States

Christmas Day, 1944
Brooklyn, United States

Rosemary had been standing on the door for almost fifteen minutes. She heard laughter coming from inside the house. There were so many decorations set upon the house and street that it was too overwhelming to her.

I could just leave, she thought. 

They didn't know she was coming anyway. I'm covering Walter's shift and have to look after the bar, she had told them, which was true, just because it was Christmas didn't mean that she got a free pass of spying on people. 

I'm going to visit my mom afterwards, she said when they insisted. Lie. Just go back home, I'll be okay here.

But at the last minute, she made the impulsive decision to throw all commands out the window and do what she wanted. Hence, she bought a ticket to the United States.

And here she was, scolding herself for acting impulsively instead of thinking things twice.

Her head was telling her to leave, but her heart wanted to stay. She couldn't bring herself to step down the porch, but she couldn't ring the bell either. 

She jumped at the feeling of someone sneaking up to her.

"Sorry!" The woman apologized raising her right hand while holding groceries in the other when she saw Rosemary had raised her fist. She had let her guard down being too engrossed in her thoughts that someone had managed to startle her.

When the spy realized the woman wasn't a threat nor was she trying to hurt her, she calmed down immediately.

"I apologize, you scared me that's... not easy to do." The cold weather helped to settle the blush on her cheeks as she giggled going back into her innocent persona. 

Examining the woman closely, Rosemary noticed she couldn't have been more than a couple of years older than her. She had angelic features and an aura that seemed to irradiate grace. She studied the complexion that resembled someone else's and when she looked into her blue eyes that carried a glint of cheekiness, she identified this woman as Bucky's sister.

"Sorry to bother you, I was just leaving," she started backing away.

"With those gifts in your hands?" Rosemary opened and closed her mouth. "I'm Rebecca."

She took her time to answer. "Rosemary." She grabbed the hand the woman was offering which had, surprisingly, rough skin.

Realization settled on Rebecca. "You are that friend from London, right?" God, their smiles are identical. "I thought you couldn't come."

"Well...my boss made me celebrate the holidays instead of staying at work, same with my mom." Lie.

"I'm glad you could make it! It's a pleasure to finally meet you. The boys will be happy to see you," Rebecca advanced to the door and stepped inside the house after unlocking it.