13 | UNDOING

February 1945Hydra's Headquarters, Swiss Alps

February 1945
Hydra's Headquarters, Swiss Alps

Shots were being fired in every single hallway she passed, both normal bullets and Hydra's modified ones. She had been fighting the agents and avoiding encounters with the SSR and the army, but she had to defend herself at times when one of them attacked her.

Rosemary's body was growing weaker the more she used her powers. The sonic scream, as she decided to call, she did before had taken a toll on her, but the adrenaline running through her veins and the loud environment she was in helped to revitalize her— slightly, either way, she wasn't planning on using that scream anytime soon— or ever again. She didn't need to use her powers all the time to be a good fighter anyways.

This was the last straw. If the headquarter of Hydra was defeated taking out the remaining hidden bases wasn't going to be a problem. Especially with her father almost dead and Schmidt on the verge of being defeated. That was enough motivation to keep her going.

One of the doors opened and something flew at her. Rosemary sent a sound wave towards it but it slowed it down insignificantly. She ducked just in time to avoid being hit.

When the object fell to the floor, she glanced at it and her heart felt as if it had fallen to her stomach.

It was Steve's shield.

Sensing someone was going to attack her, she stood and looked up reluctantly knowing perfectly well who it was.

Steve stopped his arm in mid-swing and took a few steps back looking at Rosemary with hurt and betrayal in his eyes, whereas she stared at him defeated and apologetic.

They just stood there soaking it all in. Steve had found himself fooled with a lie and Rosemary, well, she was sorry that this was how he found out about her. However, after the recent events, she was emotionally drained and just wanted everything to be over with already.

He was looking at her as if he was seeing her for the first time, and not in a good way. She wore a Hydra uniform, a flash of the woman he fought on one of his missions came to mind. She was covering most of her face back then and in the fight he couldn't make out her features but seeing Rosemary now he realized they were the same person.

"You are Hydra?" he asked with shock in his voice, a flash of hurt passed his eyes which turned quickly into anger. She opened and closed her mouth trying to formulate a proper explanation but nothing came out. "You lied to me...you—"

"Steve let me—"

"You were spying on me, weren't you," he cut her off accusingly.

"Steve—"

"Answer me!" he raised his voice in desperation.

"Yes! But it is..." she paused trying to find the right words to explain everything that was happening. The sound around them for the first time affecting her, there was too much external stimulus and she couldn't focus on her thoughts and feelings.