28 | A YEAR OF BEGINNINGS

1950

1950

S

HIELD Headquarters
Camp Leigh, New Jersey

"Just like home," Howard said proudly looking at his picture on the wall.

Peggy and Rose glanced at each other, too tired to roll their eyes. Next to them, Colonel Phillips closed his eyes in exasperation. Stark couldn't stop being Stark.

The rest of the official agents stood behind the quartet, staring at the four frames holding a photo. Howard and Peggy's portraits were in the centre, Colonel Phillips' was at the left end, while Rosemary's was at the right.

SHIELD was officially founded. 

A new beginning.

In her black and white image, her eyes were staring right into the camera lens as she held a serious expression, her wavy hair falling freely down her shoulders. It hadn't been her best picture, but it wasn't the worst, at least she didn't look awkward.

"Well damn," said Colonel Phillips.

"Let's do something useful, shall we?" Agent Carter smiled eagerly.

"Let's do it."

A MONTH LATER

Daniel grunted as he fell onto the mat, again.

"See? Easy." Agent Thompson looked at her trainees satisfied, demonstrating that her explanation was correct.

"I'm starting to get why Peggy decided on private sessions with you," Daniel half-smiled.

"Hey, you wanted to be an example for students to learn," Rosemary quoted him.

"Yeah, I know." He grabbed the hand she had offered and stood up with his best impression of dignity he could muster.

Looking at the clock, she said: "Alright everyone, you have ten minutes left to practice, find a partner and try to use the techniques I showed today." Everyone followed immediately, most of them afraid after hearing her backstory with Hydra from Agents from a higher level. The ones that took more time, glanced warily at her before they bid her orders. She dismissed them.

"You've gotten better," Rosemary complemented and he scoffed with a smile on his lips.

"Have I? Didn't notice," he said honestly. Not one sparring session had ended with him winning.

"Really... What's on your mind?" she asked noticing the sombre attitude that had taken over him the past week as she watched the aspiring agents train.

"Just wondering whether I should punch Stark or Phillips. Considering I used to work for the Colonel and he still intimidates me a little bit, I'm thinking the former," he admitted.