26 | UNSOLVED PROBLEMS

August 1947Los Angeles, CA

August 1947
Los Angeles, CA

Standing in the middle of her blown-up bedroom, Rosemary gawked at the gaping hole where one of the walls had been standing, torn down by the powerful piercing scream she had made trying to wake up from a nightmare.

She wrapped her arms around her trembling body, trying to keep it still, trying to hold herself together. 

Looking at the broken clock next to her she read the time. 4:37. She would call for help later.

Almost five hours later she walked out of her room to grab a telephone that was still working. The blast had only affected her room and a little of the hall that was connected to it.

Rosemary moved her finger pushing the disk of the device, introducing the phone number. The phone call was answered almost immediately.

"Mr Stark's residence."

Keeping her voice nonchalant, she answered back. "Mr Jarvis, it's me, Rose," she didn't let him start the usual conversation of 'how you have been?' and went straight to the point, not caring if she sounded impolite. "Could you put Howard on the line, please?"

"Certainly. Hold on a moment."

She waited silently, unconsciously fiddling with the phone's cable,  stopping as soon as she noticed.

What is wrong with you? You know better than to act like this. You are not a weak scared little girl.

She didn't have time to ponder if it was her father's voice or her own in her head.

"Good morning, Rose," Howard's voice was heard through the speaker, his usual cockiness underlying his tone. "What a lovely surprise for you to be calling, I know four days is a tremendous—"

"I need your help."

The line stayed silent. Miles away, Howard gripped his phone tighter, surprised at Rosemary's petition.

"What's wrong?" His smart-ass attitude gone, tone serious hiding his worry. In a whole year of knowing Rosemary, she had never, not once, asked for anyone's help. Received it, yes, but she had never dared to ask. He knew this had to be serious. So he forced himself to act accordingly.

"It might be better if you come here...alone." As much as she trusted Jarvis, Rosemary didn't want more people than necessary to know what was happening.

"You are calling from your place, yeah?"

"Yes."

"I'll be there in ten minutes."

───── ⋆⋅☆⋅⋆ ─────

"Holy—" Howard stared gobsmacked at the gaping hole in the penthouse. "Rose, what the hell happened here? Who did this?