32 | ARE YOU LONESOME TONIGHT?

1960Mirna's Café, New Jersey

1960
Mirna's Café, New Jersey

"Well, hello to you," Rose said softly to the baby in Finn's arms. "I see is father day."

"Every day is father day," he replied. Seeing as his daughter kept looking at Rose not keeping still, he motioned her. "Do you want to go with your Aunt Rose?" The baby blinked moving her arms a little. "I think that's yes." Rose looked at him unamused. "It's a yes! Rose?"

"Fine, come here little one," she said taking a hold of the child. "I ordered you coffee, but I wasn't sure what you would want to eat since you change preference every two days, so here you go," she passed him the menu whilst he sat down across her. She awkwardly moved the baby, she was better with toddlers than babies albeit slightly. Actually, she was certain only Peggy's kids liked her.

"That's an exaggeration, I just like to try new things." He looked at her kid gobsmacked. "How do you do that?" he asked watching Florence sleep peacefully in Rose's arm. "It's not even quiet here."

"You reek anxiety Finn and you're always moving around, maybe she just finds me calm and her restlessness shuts down," she mustered. "Or I bore her to sleep, who knows. At least she's not a crier," she said.

"At least." Finn ordered the rest of his meal and they started talking about anything that came to their minds until Daniel came up.

"He'll be fine, Finn. He always is," Rose reassured him. Daniel had been on a mission that was lasting way too long overseas. She was worried too, but nothing showed that he was anything but fine.

"Have you talked to him?" he asked.

"Two weeks ago," she answered honestly. "Don't worry too much. He's fine."

"Is that hope telling you that or your weird sixth sense?"

"Both."

"I hope you'd tell mom about it you know, maybe she'd worry less," he told her.

She shifted the Florence so she could rest her head on her shoulder. "She would worry anyway. I'm sure she still hopes one of you chooses a safer job to work in." It had been years since Finn told his mother the truth about his job, and to say she was livid about it was an understatement, but then the anger turned to worry which turned to pride. She just didn't want to lose her kids like she lost her husband to the war. He had survived the first but didn't make it through the second. How could she be sure the same would happen with her kids?

The thing about wars is that they would end at some point, her sons' job was permanent until either of them retired, got too old, or worse.

"I don't know, Finn. I think she would just freak out." As much as she loved Mrs Turner, she didn't want to test what would happen when she told her about her powers.

Her son was dating a freak.

She became more aware of the presence of the baby on her shoulder. Finn already had a daughter, Sam was extremely happy with their kid and Mrs Turner always looked at her and her boyfriend waiting for them to either get married or have a kid too.