06 | THE RIGHT PARTNER

or The Right Partner, a Mission and Fondue

November 1943
Maida Vale Bar, London

Sitting in the seats next to the barstool was Steve with his best friend. He had had a good time with the guys after his team had been officially formed, but after spending a while with them he realized that their buzzing energy was too much for him. So he decided to leave and sit by his childhood best friend instead.

"Told you, they were all idiots," Bucky said smugly.

"How about you? You ready to follow Captain America into the jaws of death?" Steve asked with a teasing smile.

"Hell no...That little guy from Brooklyn that was too dumb not to run away from a fight? I'm following him," he replied taking a sip from his drink and then asked his next thought. "But you're keeping the outfit, right?"

Steve smiled down. "You know what? It's kinda growing on me," he replied just as Rosemary approached them, eyeing Steve's uniform thinking it suited him and made him look even more handsome. He seemed comfortable.

"Hey, I'm almost done here, so if you want to, uh... catch up then, I'm free," she let him know stopping in front of them.

"Yeah, sure," Steve nodded receiving a questioning, yet insinuating, glance from his male friend.

"You are friends with the pretty lady who served me drinks?" he asked with a sly smirk making Steve scoff.

"Bucky, this is..." he paused and looked at Rosemary hesitantly. He wasn't sure if he was supposed to introduce her as Rosemary or Anne. She had said the former was reserved for friends only... they were still friends, right? Was he permitted to introduce her as a friend to Bucky or was he to acquaint them just as Bucky and Anne?

Seeing his troubled stare, Rosemary decided to introduce herself extending her hand towards the unknown man. "Rose."

"Sergeant James Buchanan Barnes, but people call me Bucky, friends, girlfriends," he said grabbing her hand and throwing her a charming smile. "Pleasure to meet you, doll," he looked at her, flirt sparkling in his eyes.

He was very handsome, she acknowledged. Like his best friend, he also had blue eyes, but his were a crystal blue, whereas Steve's were a little more intense and if you looked closely, even had a little bit of green that mixed perfectly with each other making his shade slightly different.

"Likewise." She didn't react to his flirting but replied with a polite smile. "It's nice to finally put a face to the name."

From the side Steve was watching the exchange awkwardly, after so many years he still was amazed by how daring and spontaneous his friend could be around women.

"Same here. I gotta say when Steve told me about you... he wasn't exaggerating about your beauty, doll." She glanced at Steve with raised eyebrows as his cheeks reddened.