18 | (UN)EXPECTED FATE

Agents of SHIELD 2x01

May 1945
Austria

"Okay lads," said Dum Dum Dugan cheerfully, "and ladies," he added glancing towards Agent Carter and Rosemary. "This is it. After this mission, we'd officially have kicked Hydra's ass for good," seriousness was present over his features.

After her visit to the cemetery, thanks to Peggy, both of them had gotten back in time for the last mission. Other than Rosemary thanking her for the gesture, aware of the risk she took, no conversation had sparked on the trip. Nonetheless, a comfortable silence had rested among them, which they didn't break until reaching the rest of the team to discuss the last mission regarding Hydra's elimination.

Several comments filled with pride followed the redhead's short "motivational speech", as he would've liked to call it. Rosemary didn't see the greatness of it but it certainly did the trick to light up the rest of them.

"Alright, let's move people. We don't want them to have any more time to escape," Peggy ordered.

The operation would've been over sooner if it weren't for a new base or two that popped up after they destroyed one of them. Fortunately, they always managed to get their information beforehand, Rosemary's drawings of the future had been of great help.

This base was the last one. Finally.

Rosemary felt as if she were a step closer to being able to breathe freely.

Bombs went off blasting the gates to Hydra's compound, which was in the middle of an evacuation. The Howling Commandos and Rosemary entered with their guns raised following Agent Carter who was leading the way, as the rest of the soldiers assigned to the mission surrounded the place.

Rosemary recognized the leader of the base as Reinhardt, a scientist her father kept contact with frequently. He was holding a wooden plank supporting a strange object.

Dum Dum knocked down with his rifle a Hydra agent who was recovering from the explosion. "I give him an A for effort."

"Guten tag, boys. All right, nice and calm," said Morita mockingly threatening them. "No sudden moves, or we'll tie a blasting cap to your..." he paused, "hey Dugan, what's the German word for nuts?"

"I don't know, Jim," he answered cocking his gun, "but tie a blasting cap to them. I'll bet we'll hear it," he retorted.

"Put it down," ordered Agent Carter ignoring the conversation of the two men behind her. "Down," she repeated when none of the Hydra agents listened. Reinhardt lowered the object slowly. "These assets are now under the protection of the Strategic Scientific Reserve. They'll be relocated and hidden out of sight, indefinitely, as will you."

"Cut off one head, two more shall grow in its place," assured Reinhardt while he was being handcuffed by Daniel.

"Then I guess we'll keep cutting them off," countered Agent Carter.