19 | MULTI-MILLIONAIRE IN DISTRESS

Agent Carter 1x01; 1x02; 1x08

March 1946
Minnesota, USA

The war was finally over. The world had achieved peace... sort of.

Almost a year had passed since Rosemary last saw Peggy, about six months since the end of WWII, and she could say she was actually doing pretty well.

She had organised herself excellently, and the money had lasted enough for her to travel and eat for about three weeks. When she wanted to move faster she prioritized transport rather than food, but sometimes she just walked from one town to another.

At first, she didn't stay in one place too long, she would rent an apartment at a hotel or bread and breakfast, most of the time just for women trying to blend in, looked for work for a few weeks and then moved.

This was the longest she had spent at one place, she was comfortable. She was working as a waitress in a 24-hour café that was near the inn she was staying at. It wasn't the same as the bar in London but Rosemary liked the familiarity the work brought...ignoring the shitty customers of course, although that was familiar as well.

"May I ask a question?" Howard Stark's voice was heard from the TV playing in the kitchen.

"Not until you answer the question already before this committee."

"It's been so long, I don't even remember what it was," the rich man cockily responded annoyed.

"Did you knowingly sell military-grade technology to enemies of the United States?" An action Start had been accused of recently. His trial had been going for the past two weeks, his second hearing was currently taking place at the Capitol in DC.

"Not knowingly."

"Did you do it unknowingly?"

"Now, by definition that would be impossible to answer." He pointed out fed up as the witnesses in the trial laughed.

She tuned out the rest of the hearing, they probably had another useless hour to go on. Rosemary didn't personally know Mr Stark, but Steve did and considered him a friend. Howard Stark may be a lot of things, but she didn't believe his lust for power and fame would have led him to sell his weapons knowing they would fall on bad hands (not that she trusted any government or organization with any kind of weapon).

"Hey, sweets, more coffee," demanded a man at the stool.

Silently, she held the urge of rolling her eyes and did as he said, not really in the mood for threatening him, she didn't want unnecessary attention on her. At least he wasn't grabbing any part of her body.

TWO DAYS LATER

As usual, whenever she was headed to the café she worked at, Rosemary passed the newsstand on the street, eyeing the headlines on the newspapers without actually buying them.